Newb Question - Pro ject Carbon

From the Beginner's Guide

Amplification:

Those marked with * include a built in phono stage.

<$350

Your best bet is to buy something used from the next price bracket. Amazon often has insanely good "warehouse deals" for more than 50% off retail. But If you insist on buying new, though not ideal, there are some options:

Nuforce Icon ($180)

Audioengine N22 ($200)

Yamaha A-S300 ($330) *

NuForce Icon-2 ($350)

<$550

Nad C-316BEE ($380)

Yamaha A-S500 ($400) *

Marantz PM5004 ($450) *

Jolida JD301BRC ($500)

Onkyo A9050 ($500) *

Nad C-316BEE ($550)

Cambridge Audio 351A ($550)

Music Hall A15.3 ($550) *

Teac AH01 ($550)

<$900

Marantz PM6004 ($600) * currently only $450 on Amazon and Music Direct

Cambridge Audio 651A ($800)

Nad C-356BEE ($800)

Rega Brio-R ($895)

Marantz PM8004 ($900) *

Firestone Rubby ($900)

Allen only likes Rega because he's a limey, just like the Rega.

To be completely accurate I like them because I'm a Limey and therefore correct at all times.

In all seriousness I'm not really a fan of Rega or Project turntables as I like sprung sub chassis but if pushed I prefer the Rega sound over all the Projects I've heard and owned so far, that I'm pretty certain is because it's the Rega arm, plus you can do a lot more with the Rega line upgrade wise or take the arm with you and mount it on other turntables.

I don't think they are as cost effective in the US as the Project's though so that obviously makes a big difference, that and there is a healthy supply of 2nd hand ones over here as the design hasn't changed in a very long time.

wasn't trying to skimp. Was just trying to allocate more funds towards my TT. :)

Thank You for your feedback. It is appreciated. 

Everything really needs to be of a similar standard otherwise you will not get the best out of the expensive bits of kit in the chain due to a cheap crap bottleneck somewhere.

Any advice on what I should be looking for with an integrated amp with phono?

I would just scan sites like Needle Doctor/Audio Advisor/Music Direct for clearance or keep an eye on CL/Ebay. Current models within last few years if listed as working should be trouble free. I bought my Marantz PM8004 used in flawless condition for $500 a few months ago.

This Cambridge Audio 351A for $350 is worth checking out.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1CA351A

The problem with most of the stuff you listed above is that it's mostly made by Sony in the 90s.

Hey Allen, not to threadjack but since we're on the subject of Rega's and amps, do you have any recommendations for an amp that pairs well with a Planar 3 with one of the new bias cartridges? I have it hooked up to a Yamaha A-S500 right now and a pair of B&W 685 S's and feel the amp is the next weak point of upgrade need. 

Thanks!

Hey Allen, not to threadjack but since we're on the subject of Rega's and amps, do you have any recommendations for an amp that pairs well with a Planar 3 with one of the new bias cartridges? I have it hooked up to a Yamaha A-S500 right now and a pair of B&W 685 S's and feel the amp is the next weak point of upgrade need. 

Thanks!

Depends on budget and whether you are talking new or 2nd hand, plus if you are keeping the B&W's then it needs to mate well with them as well but in order of my own personal preference by brand these would be my suggestions.

Musical Fidelity

Talk Electronics (Edwards Audio)

Rega

Creek

Cambridge Audio

I'm guessing new but the above brands have all been around a good while and have made good kit for years,

I know it's a very British list but so are your turntable, cartridge and speakers.

Also you are in the US so there will be some domestic product that I haven't heard that I'm sure will also mate well with your kit that others on the board can advise on.

Depends on budget and whether you are talking new or 2nd hand, plus if you are keeping the B&W's then it needs to mate well with them as well but in order of my own personal preference by brand these would be my suggestions.

Musical Fidelity

Talk Electronics (Edwards Audio)

Rega

Creek

Cambridge Audio

I'm guessing new but the above brands have all been around a good while and have made good kit for years,

I know it's a very British list but so are your turntable, cartridge and speakers.

Also you are in the US so there will be some domestic product that I haven't heard that I'm sure will also mate well with your kit that others on the board can advise on.

Thanks for the reply; I'm a ways out from having the budget to upgrade but I'll have to start keeping an eye out for good deals on some of those used. I'm always looking to buy second hand if I can find it, but new tends to win out when I get impatient haha. My uncle who got me into the audiophile world was a Linn enthusiast, so I guess I naturally ended up with his tastes in British brands. 

So, to throw another curve ball into this mess. I found a fully restored Thoren's TD 190 (I'm waiting on clarification if it's a 190-1 or 190-2) with a new Shure M95 Supertrack Cart. The asking price is $400. Just wondering if this is worth considering. The restorer is a local guy who does restorations on the side of his 9-5. He has done beautiful work on tables, based off his website. So, again... Just trying to get the best bang for my buck here. 

Thanks again for all my questions. 

Neither incarnation of the TD190 is Thorens finest work, I would think $400 on the used market could buy you a lot more turntable.

If you like Thorens then a TD160 or 166 were available in the US. The Thorens arm is it's weak point but the 160B came without an arm so you could fit whatever you wanted and any 160 or 166 can be modified with an after market armboard to take whatever arm you want.

Other than that pretty much any Thorens upto and including the 166 will be vastly superior to the 190.

It all went a bit BPC after the 166

• 3 weeks later...