Equipment malfunctions/breaks/bummers

So today I spun 4 or 5 albums and as the last one was ending, I go to shut it off the TT and the power/arm elevation lever on my PL-550 snapped off at the base. I was immediately heartbroken as this is an older table, nowadays is hard to come across, and even harder to come across at the price I got it for last year. I know finding the replacement part will be impossible without salvaging one from a broken pioneer table, but I'd honestly hate to go through all that.

So I eventually mustered up the energy to take the thing apart, remove the piece that the lever was attached to and examine it. It was a pretty clean break, basically just plastic with an aluminum-type casing, so after a few layers and applications of super glue it seemed to hold pretty well. I let the piece dry, put it back together and listened to couple of albums and it held on seemingly okay. I honestly don't expect it to last for very long, as you need to apply a fair amount of pressure to lower or raise the tonearm on this thing (which is probably why it broke in the first place), and I feel like the superglue is a temporary solution at best. I haven't had this table that long relatively speaking, so there's not a huge sentimental value attached to it, but I've loved the sound/performance of this table more than any other I've owned.

So alas, I will start looking into a new table and probably keep the 550 as a backup in another room in the house. I just wanted to start a thread for stories about equipment breaking and other bummers of the sort you guys may have experienced. I know a lot of you guys have forayed into vintage gear so I'm sure you probably have stories to tell.

I just don't wanna hear about ajxd's broken tweeters on his SFs though. :P

Hahahahahahaah

FINE HERE'S A GOOD ONE.

I got my Quintet Red about 2 months ago. Worked great until one day I noticed a channel was sounding a little low. Remove table and noticed the left channel ground was almost broken. Not an issue. I've re-wired tonearms before. Ordered some nice Cardas cable. My method is soldering the old to the new, and pulling it through. Well, the 1.3 has a sharp 90 degree angle with about 8g hole for the cable. Old cables pulled through, new cables stopped at the 8g hole/90 degree angle point.

Called Sumiko, they said buy a new arm. Went to a shop, they said "Pfft no way we can do that." Called me 2 days later and said "Yeah... it's going be total rebuild of the arms, at least 3hr of work/calibration... so more expensive than an arm...

So I got a new arm. $100 for a $1 part... Plus a month without my table.

EDIT: The new RPM1 Carbon arm is being released soon. They told me "Oh yeah they'll just send you the new arm, which is great because its way better".... they didn't.

EDIT EDIT: I got my replacement tweeter for my SF. They're great again. And for sale is anyone is interested. $1250 + ship for Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 with matching stands (MSRP $1600).

I just did this just last weekend. The attached RCA cable on my Tech 1210 was cutting out periodically, and after watching some youtube videos and doing some reading I figured that I could replace it myself. I have worked on guitars for a while so I can kinda-sorta solder, but not very well. In this case I was completely out of my league. I actually got everything working properly while the table was taken apart and upside down but once I put it all back together and turned it back over the connection didn't work, so I had to remove all 20+ screws and re-do my work. This happened 3-4 times and I was getting so frustrated that I ended up ruining the PCB by stripping one of the traces as I tried to de-solder my shitty connection. Now I'm going to have to send it to KAB to be repaired, the only good thing is that I'll have the tonearm rewired while it's there. Nice work by me turning a $10 repair into a $200 one.

Luckily I have another 1200 to use while my main table is getting fixed.  :)

The current Mrs allenh snapped the cantilever of a Sumiko BPS that I hadn't even had a chance to run in by dusting my turntable. Cue much making the woman in question feel very guilty and milking it as much as possible until I did something similar to another good cart with my sleeve whilst under the affluence of inchahol.

She now threatens to use a breathalyser on me when I go near a turntable, I off course no longer mention her slight error.