Needle skips on 45rpm 7"s

Alright, I have an audio technica lp-120 (Not top of the line, by any means but a pretty good turntable) and everything on it is stock, including the cartridge and stylus (AT95e), and everything is and has always been set up to the factory recommended settings. However, only when I play 45rpm 7"s it skips. not terribly, and not all the time but it's really annoying. I've had the turntable almost a year and I'd venture to say the stylus has around 200 hours of playtime but that's probably an over estimation. Any suggestions? I have been eyeballing some new styluses (Styli?) on Amazon, if you think that may fix the problem. Another theory I have is that I got a new slipmat about 5 months ago that is about half as thick as the one that came with it, and i've adjusted the height to go as low as possible but maybe that's not low enough? who knows. just asking for any suggestions.

Does it do it toward the centre of LP's too? and does it sound bad?

My guess is stylus and or suspension wear, you've had the use out of it and the stock AT cart is not the greatest so it's probably time for a replacement/upgrade but stylus wear shows up as bad sound so I'd expect you to hear that especially toward the centre of records as this is the hardest area to track properly

If the sound is good the fact it's only doing it nearer the centre is possibly something though and does sound like the tracking force or anti skate or both are possibly out but you also mention you now have a thinner slipmat and you've set the VTA as low as it can go so when you look at the tonearm side on when it's playing a record is it dead flat or angled up toward the stylus?

Either way make sure it's all set up properly for tracking angle, VTA, tracking force and anti skate and look at getting a new cart

• 2 weeks later...