Calgary, Alberta record stores

Thanks for this! I'm moving to Calgary in May.

Awesome! My wife and I moved here five years ago, we're both born and raised in Victoria. We love it here but it took some adjusting, especially the dry climate. Prepare yourself for static issues. I miss The Turntable in Victoria - Ernie is the shit. One of the nicest guys I've ever met working in a record store.

When we first moved here, I checked out all of the local record stores including a couple not mentioned: CD Trader, Heritage Music and Posters, Hot Wax Records, Lukes Drug Mart and The Inner Sleeve. I liked The Inner Sleeve the most and eventually started working there. Since then, our owner opened a vintage audio/record store called The Audio Spot. That's where I work now. I've been working on adding more metal to The Audio Spot but not a lot of punk.

My order of preference but since I'm biased towards The Inner Sleeve and The Audio Spot, I'll leave them out:

Sloth - for my taste, I'd say the best new vinyl selection and good prices. Used isn't that great though. The store is probably the cleanest and most inviting and it's in a great area. If you like poutine, check out The Big Cheese Poutinerie. Tubby Dog is also just a couple of blocks away.

Melodiya - not as inviting as Sloth, you need to walk through a comic store and I'm not a fan of their setup. Still good selection and prices. They're used vinyl is much better than Sloth too. Staff are friendly.

Lukes Drug Mart - best new vinyl prices in town, fairly limited though unless you're looking for most of the same records as everyone else. Used selection is bad but apparently getting better. Personally, I can't go into this store but that's just me. Other people love it.

Hot Wax Records - probably the best location in the city. I really love the Kensington area. I haven't been here since I first moved to Calgary though and I hear their selection is getting worse.

CD Trader - inside a mall, all used. Best to know your stuff before going in here. Prices are all over the place and no consistency at all. But you can find some really good deals because of it. Also, the guy watches your every move.

Recordland - I've only been here once and that was five years ago. I spent five minutes in there and couldn't stand it. My skin was crawling, felt so confined. Now, I have heard good things about this store since and I know some people really like it. Their new vinyl prices are good but I've heard their used vinyl prices are going up. They do have the most used records in the city, there is no denying that. If you have lots of time and aren't claustrophobic then you'll want to go here.

Heritage - as I'm typing this, I can't believe I've never been here. Judging by what customers say about them, I'd say they are definitely worth checking out. I'm pretty sure they are open late some nights and from what I hear, it sounds like a cool store.

Every single one of these stores is worth checking out if you have time. They all offer something unique and of course, stop by The Audio Spot and say hi. I'm at the store Tuesday-Saturday although I'm off today.

Awesome! My wife and I moved here five years ago, we're both born and raised in Victoria. We love it here but it took some adjusting, especially the dry climate. Prepare yourself for static issues. I miss The Turntable in Victoria - Ernie is the shit. One of the nicest guys I've ever met working in a record store. 

Very cool!  I'm sure I'll run into you.  I lived outside of Edmonton when I was a kid so I have an idea of what I'm getting into (and am glad I'm moving to Calgary, not Edmonton).  The long term plan is to come back to Victoria, but it'll take a while.

Thanks for the details on all the shops!  I'll make a point of checking out each one.

(Also, sorry OP for jacking your thread, I hope you find something cool on your visit ;) )