DIY record cleaning machines

Do any of you have homemade VPI-type record cleaning machines? I'm tired of using my 70s Discwasher and I can't really afford a $200+ RCM.

I have an old Sony turntable with a broken tonearm, so I can use its platter. Thinking I'll stick it on top of a cabinet with a ShopVac below it which connects to a water-pipe thing that picks up the dirt in the records.

The biggest thing that worries me is the height of the pipe that rests on the records. I don't know how low it should go. Should it just barely touch the surface or should it rest firmly onto it?

Any general tips would be helpful. I know there's a huge collection of posts on the AudioKarma forum, just thought I'd ask you guys on here what your thoughts were.

Feel free to post pics of your own machines!

The platter on an RCM tends to spin slower than 33 so you would need a turntable that does 16rpm or slower or some way of slowing it right down. The next problem is that anything that has decent suction is going to stop the platter turning as soon as you turn on the vacuum and form a seal on the record, even a direct drive DJ deck isn't going to have enough torque to do the job.

As my learned colleague pointed out above for the vacuum to work properly the vacuum wand needs to form a good seal with the record surface for it to pull the fluid and dirt away.

There are DIY kits and plans around on the internet and some machines can be bought in kit form but they are still expensive even then and as someone who builds all sorts of stuff including turntables and amplifiers even I decided an effective RCM was better bought off the shelf than built.

I've got an Okki Nokki that I've had for years which I’ve put thousands of records through and it's been a very solid investment.