Heaphone amps

so my wife is going to pick up some Sennheiser HD 598 heaphones for fathers day from my girls.  alot of you guys recommend Schiit, so after doing some research i think i am going to go with the Magni 2.

not sure what a line out on a heaphone amp does???  wondering if i should go with the Uber.

also wondering if there is another amp i should look at in the 100 -150 price range.  don't want to limit myself if something is just as good or better in the same price point.   for instance there is a Creek OBH 11 on usaudiomart for 100 bones.  is this comparable to Schiit???

thanks for any info.

i also listen to my records through headphone around 70% of the time.

Line out to to just bypass the amp to hook into your receiver/amp so you don't have to move cables when you want to listen on another source.

I have a Schiit stack (Asgard amp and Modi DAC), and absolutely love them. They are all quality products no matter what level you go for. Just get one that suits your needs rather going by price tag. But I can tell you that a Magni / Modi combo is a great place to start, and you can always upgrade down the road.

Check out Massdrop for some good deals on amps, DACs, audiophile gear.

Currently they have:

Matrix M-Stage HP2 Amplifier/DAC - $239 xDuoo UA-05 DAC/Amp - $179 TCG TRD3 Desktop DAC/Amp - $159

You can also read a lot of review on Head Fi here:

- Amps / DACs

- Desktop Amps / DACs

As well as search the sale thread to get good deals on gear. That's actually where I got my Schiit stuff, my dx50 DAP, and my k550s.

Matter of fact there is an Asgard for sale on there for $130, which is a great price. http://www.head-fi.org/t/765054/fs-schiit-asgard-1st-generation

If you have any questions, let me know. Hope that helps a bit.

Also, here are some pictures of my set ups:

Vinyl / Desktop

f6h5z9u.jpg

Portable

O1ECQeT.jpg

I used to use an o2odac for my AKG q701s, and I highly recommend looking into this. Avoid fiio like the plague as the build quality is poor, and you'll most likely have to replace what you buy from them within the year; something which happened to me twice while owning my e7+e11(or whatever) combo. A good couple sellers of the o2+oDAC combo are mayflower electronics or jds labs, though I'd recommend to ask if they'll install a gain switch for you for stuff like the k701s since they can be a bitch to drive properly. You can even build your own fairly cheap, as the schematic is widely available online for this.

As stated above, the schiit stack is also a viable option, and they're probably what you'd want to get for a boutique audiophile sort of deal. I currently use an integrated amp (onkyo a9050) to power both my speakers, headphones, TT, tape deck, and as a sound card via toslink and I really enjoy the set up, so this might be worth looking into.

Here's another vote to check out the O2. Amazing little amp. I have the JDSLabs build and love it.

O2-Black-Front-Head-On.jpg

I use the separates version of the ODAC for my digital tunes, but as mooseblues mentioned above you can also get a combined O2/ODAC. Setup is as follows: turntable + DAC on separate inputs > integrated amp > tape out > cable under the rug > headphone amp which sits on a side table next to my listening chair.