Iron Maiden Somewhere In Time Vinyl

redsonja

Something odd I realised the other day is that I have two UK first pressings of Somewhere in Time, and when comparing the two - one has a fair amount of crackle, but the dynamics almost make up for it; and the other which I got as a replacement in EX+ condition - it seems that although the replacement has way less noise, it doesn't sound quite as punchy as my first copy.

And oddly, even though it's the same pressing, the first one is cut from much thinner vinyl - I can actually wobble and flex it a little (I probably shouldn't do that too much ... don't panic, I don't make a habit of it!), whereas the replacement copy is quite firm and unbendable.

Any of you guy's had this experience?

One thing I love about this album on vinyl: I've never heard it sound so good before (and my ex used to play that all day long at one time or other on CD). But it really comes alive like this.

Sonja

One thing you'll need to understand as a new record collector/user is MANY things get labeled as "First Pressing" that aren't. Just because the covers or numbers on the jacket match don't mean a thing. What matters most and gives the most accurate info is the etchings in the deadwax (the inner area around the label with no music).

As has been said, in the 70's and 80's, things were kept in print for many runs. Metal parts wear out and were recreated, different pressing plants were used with different metals and even cuts sometimes. So, yeah, it's not uncommon to hear differences in pressings that seem very similar.

One thing you'll need to understand as a new record collector/user is MANY things get labeled as "First Pressing" that aren't. Just because the covers or numbers on the jacket match don't mean a thing. What matters most and gives the most accurate info is the etchings in the deadwax (the inner area around the label with no music).

As has been said, in the 70's and 80's, things were kept in print for many runs. Metal parts wear out and were recreated, different pressing plants were used with different metals and even cuts sometimes. So, yeah, it's not uncommon to hear differences in pressings that seem very similar.

Thanks - I did check the deadwax and the numbers are the same, pressed by Sterling, etc. I'll have another check just in case I'm off by a few digits!

Thanks - I did check the deadwax and the numbers are the same, pressed by Sterling, etc. I'll have another check just in case I'm off by a few digits!

Not pressed by Sterling, the original mastering cut was made at Sterling. If everything matches it could be which pressing plant was used, general wear from use, even condition of the stampers at the plant. Lots of variables!

Ah, you're right about the numbers! The thinner vinyl is: emc 3512-a-dmm-3u-1-1-  sterling sound   "it were so loud" on side one. And the thicker vinyl is exactly thte same except for this part: -1u-1-1-x1

When you pick both records up it's immediately noticeable how thin one is, too, compared to the other, and yet the thin one - with the annoying crackle - is the one that's actually more dynamic to my ears.

Tracking down a NM copy of that one might be a bit of a pain ... not so sure I want to trust sellers on eBay or Discogs anymore. I know there are some really genuine sellers out there, but it's just too much time and annoyance at the minute (after the Maiden fiasco in my other thread).

EDIT: confirmed - I just had a neighbour listen when she came over to drop off some post and she could hear it immediatley, though she said she actually preferred the less dynamic record because it wasn't as 'sharp' between instruments, by which she probably means the muddying made it sound more like a really good CD copy!