International Shipping and Paypal

I've been using Paypal to do all of my international shipping, and the only options for the package are "letter" or "package/thick envelope". Using option two, my labels print out saying Large Envelope on the customs form. I never noticed this before. However, when I was dropping packages off the other day at the post office, the lady said they were wrong and charged me extra to make them parcel post. Not only have I never had to do this before, but there isn't a parcel option via Paypal, and I believe all of my other packages have arrived like they should. Also, when I calculate shipping on the USPS site it's usually at least $5 more, and I'm thinking that this is the reason why.

Does anyone have any insight to this? Is there a shipping option that I'm missing?

Yeah, it changed a few years back. Not sure why.

USPS' site works, but I forgot my password and security questions, so I can't re-register or recover my account. I don't ship international very much anymore.

If you ship a lot internationally I would recommend Endicia.  It doesn't link w/ PayPal, but has made my life so much easier since I started using it a few months ago.

Isn't there a monthly charge to use it? I don't ship enough to do that.

Yes, it's $15 a month to use Endicia, at least the level I use.  They have different levels depending on what you want.  I don't think they have a free version, but there might be one that's slightly cheaper.  I ship a lot internationally so it's worth it, but if you only ship a few packages a month it's probably not going to be as beneficial. 

You can ship first class international through USPS.com, and there's a discount for purchasing it online over buying at the post office. You need a USPS login. After you enter everything, it'll allow you to log into PayPal and purchase the postage.

I'll try another email, and see if it works. Thanks.

Yes, it's $15 a month to use Endicia, at least the level I use.  They have different levels depending on what you want.  I don't think they have a free version, but there might be one that's slightly cheaper.  I ship a lot internationally so it's worth it, but if you only ship a few packages a month it's probably not going to be as beneficial. 

I ship a decent amount through paypal, but in the last year or two I've only sent 2 international packages. Weird it was in the same week, and both went to Australia. The $15/month is not worth it for my total amount of shipping though.

• 3 weeks later...

So I found out what's going on, and I think I can save you guys some money.

Apparently you CAN ship records, or anything really, as a "thick envelope" as long as the the package is at least 1/4" tall and doesn't exceed 3/4". Most record mailers are right there. This is why none of my records have come back. It took a lot of digging to find that answer, as the post office doesn't really know. A random post on an Etsy forum from a few years back had the link to the USPS description.