HELP, with preamp removal LP120

HEY VC

I decided to paint my LP120 this week. While letting the black paint cure on the plinth, I decided to go ahead and cut off the built in preamp. I have to come to a problem though. I need to wire a ground from the inside out to my external preamp so bad things don't happen, BUT, here is the problem.

DOES IT MATTER WHAT KIND OF GROUND WIRE I BUY??? I saw on amazon a ground wire "specifically" for a technics turntable, so does it really make a difference?? 

Thanks

Drew

I believe Thomas is confusing terms.  Unshielded wire is your run of the mill wire; a wire surrounded with an outer jacket (normally plastic).  Shielded wire surrounded by an inner jacket, a metal shield (it can be foil or braided wire) and then an outer jacket.  Bare wire is just metal, with no jacket.  An RCA cable would be shielded, a speaker wire would normally be unshielded.

The ground wire doesn't need to be shielded.  Go to Home Depot and get some 18, 20, or 22 gauge copper wire.  Good luck on your project.

I believe Thomas is confusing terms.  Unshielded wire is your run of the mill wire; a wire surrounded with an outer jacket (normally plastic).  Shielded wire surrounded by an inner jacket, a metal shield (it can be foil or braided wire) and then an outer jacket.  Bare wire is just metal, with no jacket.  An RCA cable would be shielded, a speaker wire would normally be unshielded.

The ground wire doesn't need to be shielded.  Go to Home Depot and get some 18, 20, or 22 gauge copper wire.  Good luck on your project.

You can use any shielded wire as a ground wire, it does not have to be anything special. Cut up an old RCA cable or speaker wire, and it will work fine.

Thanks guys! I will put that information to good use. Sadly, I used the wrong kind of clear coat and my paint bubbled up. Gotta restart on the painting... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Would love to see pics of the finished TT

Did you ever finish?

I finished the painting. Even with a glossy clear coat its still nice and matte. Sadly I am having trouble with the put back together and getting a decked out UTurn orbit has decreased my motivation to finish. After finals next week I plan on finishing it up.