tax-scam records

Maxwell17

Hey all!!

I started working at a record shop in Northern Virginia about a month ago and while digging through a new collection that the owner had bought from someone, I came across an album that just intrigued me. Its called "Turn the Other Cheek" from a band supposedly called "Boot"

I started doing research on these types of records and found that some labels found a loophole in an old tax code that allowed them to write off their failed investments in the records they released, so some of them began releasing fake albums from bands that may have never existed.

I was wondering if anyone knew anymore on this topic AND if anyone has any they'd be willing to sell or trade!

Thanks,

Maxwell17

fascinated by this, BUT i'm a little confused, so forgive me -- is it this album by boot, specifically, that's fake? because i found a link to the album on youtube (provided below).

but i'd be curious to know how many of these records are actually "fake." as in, is there no music on them??

Never heard of this, but sounds really interesting. There's a record store near me that has a whole section for odd, private-pressed records, which are fascinating on their own.

Any audio samples as to what the band sounds like?

fascinated by this, BUT i'm a little confused, so forgive me -- is it this album by boot, specifically, that's fake? because i found a link to the album on youtube (provided below).

but i'd be curious to know how many of these records are actually "fake." as in, is there no music on them??

This IS an actual album! but the band "BOOT" never existed. Chances are, the record label (Guinness Records, i believe) ripped off someone's demo that was sent to them and under a different name, released very few of them, then lied about how much money they "lost" on the album while doing their taxes, basically stealing money from the government.

Most of these albums aren't very good but occasionally you'll find an awesome tax scam record such as the one by BOOT.

I read on some website that, this ended due to the release of a nazi themed jazz album that brought a lot of attention to one of the Tax scamming labels. 

I havent heard of any albums without audio on them but that is an interesting idea to read up on!

This IS an actual album! but the band "BOOT" never existed. Chances are, the record label (Guinness Records, i believe) ripped off someone's demo that was sent to them and under a different name, released very few of them, then lied about how much money they "lost" on the album while doing their taxes, basically stealing money from the government.

Here's a whole page about the band.

http://badcatrecords.com/BadCat/BOOT.htm

Here's a whole page about the band.

http://badcatrecords.com/BadCat/BOOT.htm

http://shit-fi.com/interviews/AaronMilenski

thanks for sparking my interest, this was a good read on the subject.

So if these are all real bands, were they aware their records were being "released" and rarely sold/played?