Quartz lock too slow?

My Harman Kardon T60 suddenly started to sound slow at 33, so I measured it with an app and it's only spinning at 31.25 rpms with quartz lock on. 45 is pretty much on. What would cause the qaurtz to slow down? I know I can open it up and mess with the pots to adjust the speed, which I will do a some point, but it'd be nice to know why it suddenly slowed down. Motor going, bad belt? Any ideas?

With the pitch control it' pretty much up to speed, slightly slow on 33 (way too fast on 45) but still sounds good, but it's annoying to mess with it all the time.

Id recommend taking a look at your belt. Could it have been possible that someone messed with the quartz lock or you accidentally moved it? I am not sure how your exact model looks, I have a T65C. I have had no problems with this issue, but I would take a look at your belt, if not take it off and put it back on. Take a look under the platter and see if anything is in the way or brushing against it (slowing it down). I have had some gunk build up under my platter when my belt went bad. It is possible that the motor is going bad, but that is like the worst case scenario. I personally would take the belt off, clean anything that may need cleaning, put it on, and see if the belt adjustment helped at all. Also, what app did you use?  

Get some contact cleaner that has a straw type tube for a nozzle that way you can put it exactly where you want it, take a note of where each pot is set to and do one at a time giving the pot a turn or two between the stops after you've applied the cleaner and then put it back to it's original position. Once you've done them all let all the cleaner evaporate for a while and check the bearing oil and fit the new belt then try it, you might need to set the main 33 and 45 ones to get the correct speed and once you've done the initial setting leave it running for a while to warm up and re check speeds. Then that's it pretty much serviced.

If it's not pots and belt then you need someone a bit more electronically trained to look at it as it might be a capacitor problem but dirty pots is very common on old electronics and the caps only tend to dry out when these things are not used.

New belt was delivered, so I'll see if that helps it at all. If not, I guess i'll have to open it up and try to clean the pots (even though they were supposedly already done only 10 months ago). I might just take it back and tell the guy to fix it, since he might not have done everything he claimed and charged me for.

2 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

New belt was delivered, so I'll see if that helps it at all. If not, I guess i'll have to open it up and try to clean the pots (even though they were supposedly already done only 10 months ago). I might just take it back and tell the guy to fix it, since he might not have done everything he claimed and charged me for.

To be honest that's probably your best bet, don't go in complaining though ask for his help and suggestions as he's the last one to have it open he will hopefully have a better idea of where to start

On 12/05/2016 at 9:34 PM, Thomas³ said:

Well I just installed the new belt, and the table actually goes slower. Awesome.

Are you sure it's the right belt? if it's too small it will pull the motor in toward the platter and possibly slow it a bit.

Also I can't see looking at the pictures in the manual but some tables have the speed adjustment pots adjustable from underneath so you need to sit the table up on some supports like upturned pint glasses or something like that to adjust them in use.

For your table it's VR101 and VR102 but reading the manual these only have effect with the quartz lock off so they are assuming the quartz lock is accurate when on no matter what with the only solution to a quartz lock speed problem being a replacement pulley which seems very odd. Looking at the circuit and the block diagram it would seem like VR101 and VR102 do have influence on the speed control regardless of whether it's in quartz lock or not so give them a clean and reset them, this would also make sense as you say it's out on 33 but ok on 45.

• 1 month later...

Well I finally got my TT back from the shop. They cleaned it and replaced the belt and said it's good to go. I put on a record I know well and it still sounds really slow to me. Not sure what to do now. Debating just saying fuck it, and buying a new one with a warranty. In the mean time, back to the SL-D2.

3 hours ago, ajxd said:

If it doesn't work, don't pay for it. Take it back. I used to rebuild TTs for money, and I never let one go without them testing it first. 

I plan on it on Monday. They claim it passed the test, and is keeping speed fine, but everything still sounds off to me.

Edit: They also cracked the mat on the table, and I just noticed the head shell screw is missing.

Edit 2: Did some more listening, and it seems fine now. I think the first record I put on had an issue, since I tried it again on my SL-D2 and it sounded slow there too.

Edit 3: Some records sound fine, some sound too slow. I don't know what's going on... this is frustrating. I'm debating seeing if they'll buy the table back and just going with something else...

Edited by Thomas³

If you haven't got one download a strobe disc from vinyl from Vinylengine, print it out and use that to see what really is or isn't running at the correct speed.

For this one go against my standard advice and trust your eyes and the power of alternating current powered electric light rather than your ears.

3 hours ago, allenh said:

If you haven't got one download a strobe disc from vinyl from Vinylengine, print it out and use that to see what really is or isn't running at the correct speed.

For this one go against my standard advice and trust your eyes and the power of alternating current powered electric light rather than your ears.

HK were nice enough to put a strobe on top of their record weights, but I unfortunately don't have any lights that work with it. I'll give one on VE a try though. 

I assume the bars are supposed to remain stationary, like on a technics table with built in strobe? 

Edit: I got it up to speed with the strobe, and an app to verify each other. The quartz lock does not work, it's still 2 rpm too slow, but if you turn it off, it works fine. Weird, but at least it's working fine.

Edited by Thomas³