Any Bike Nerds On Here?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride a single speed with a flip flop hub if I want to go fixie. I'm really enjoying it single speed though.

This is the bike I have. I have changed a bunch of components to make it more comfortable for me.

http://www.feltracing.com/08/product.asp?catid=1504,1525&pid=8717

My friend just got one of those and he loves it. I really want to buy a fixed gear, but I also want to enjoy the whole building process of finding a frame and doing it on my own.

I ride a single speed with a flip flop hub if I want to go fixie. I'm really enjoying it single speed though.

This is the bike I have. I have changed a bunch of components to make it more comfortable for me.

I was looking on that site. What's the difference between an urban bike and a road bike?

I was looking on that site. What's the difference between an urban bike and a road bike?

without looking, I'd say the geometry. an urban bike you'd probably want to sit up more straight and a road bike you'd be tucked more.

Road bikes are usually lighter, the wheels are thinner for more speed and they are just meant to be ridden. An urban bike with have a sturdier/heavier frame and the wheel tread will be thicker and you can jump off curbs and ride in grass on occasion. Road bike tires are extremely fickle, but if you want to go fast, that's the way to go.

Yeah! I just moved to Madison and there's a ton of bike trails here and its great because I get to go somewhere new everytime I take a ride.

I've lived in Madison for almost three years now, you can't beat the number of bike trails here. You can ride around either lake pretty easily too. I knew a guy who used to bike across the lake when it was frozen, he said the only thing he couldn't do was turn (cause you'd fall over).

Yeah, I accidently went across one of the lakes yesterday. I think it was called Lake Wingra? All I know is that doing that got me really lost.

Also, do you know any good shows coming up?

If it was near the Arboretum, it was Wingra. That's a fun ride too. Did you move here after the winter? This last winter was bad news, three feet of snow is a bit much.

I wish I knew of some good shows coming up. There's Riot Fest in Chicago and Summer Fest in Milwaukee, not sure if I'm going to either yet. I've only found one site that lists shows, and its never updated. There aren't any really dedicated punk venues either. If I hear of any shows, I'll let you know.

I don't ride "big bikes", but I have been riding BMX for over ten years and do off and on video work for a local mountain bike/bmx company and the guy who I work with has been trying to talk me into picking up a road bike, which I'm open to. I live pretty deep towards the mountains, so would mainly be for some long rides out into the country. I dunno, I love bikes and will always be on one, regardless of size.

im thinking about getting a road bike, are single speed considered road bikes and can they get up to the same speeds as regular road bikes?

Some single speeds and most fixed gears are road bikes in the sense that they use road bike frames. The difference, obviously, is that they only have one gear. On single speeds, you can coast because the rear cog (the gear) is on a freewheel; on fixed gears, that cog is 'fixed' to the hub so when the wheel is turning, so are the cranks.

They can both get up to the same speed as road bikes, or at least close. They can't climb hills as steep as geared bikes can, and when you're going downhill you end up spinning your gear out. The plus side is that they're really simple and efficient, and you can just focus on riding instead of shifting gears. There's also not much that can go wrong with them since there are fewer parts - a lot of people don't have brakes on their fixed gears, and others only have a front brake.

im thinking about getting a road bike, are single speed considered road bikes and can they get up to the same speeds as regular road bikes?

Some single speeds and most fixed gears are road bikes in the sense that they use road bike frames. The difference, obviously, is that they only have one gear. On single speeds, you can coast because the rear cog (the gear) is on a freewheel; on fixed gears, that cog is 'fixed' to the hub so when the wheel is turning, so are the cranks.

They can both get up to the same speed as road bikes, or at least close. They can't climb hills as steep as geared bikes can, and when you're going downhill you end up spinning your gear out. The plus side is that they're really simple and efficient, and you can just focus on riding instead of shifting gears. There's also not much that can go wrong with them since there are fewer parts - a lot of people don't have brakes on their fixed gears, and others only have a front brake.

thanks, i will probably end up getting a single speed with a flip-flop hub but im gonna save up for a higher end one that will last me a while

Anyone ever ride a Kona Jake The Snake? I'm doing some research and it seems that may be slightly better than the Masi and about the same price.

the masi's frame is steel; the kona is (i think) aluminum. a lot of people, myself included, prefer how steel bikes feel. it's personal preference, for sure, so try to ride both and see what you like. both look like great bikes.