expensive.. why are you asking now? it's not till march.

wristabands are usually around $180

music badges are around $400-$500

most clubs are 21 and up.

I have gone every year since 97' and last year i only went to one sxsw sanctioned show. everything else was free.. if you're 21+ And i had a badge.

im asking now because im trying to figure out if im going to be able to go. i know its a long way, but i figure the earlier i plan the more i save on hotel/airfare. plus my little brother is trying to plan it around his school schedule. that being said, would it not be worth it for him to go (he'll be 19) and what is the difference between a badge and a wristband that makes it so expensive?

thanks for the info

im asking now because im trying to figure out if im going to be able to go. i know its a long way, but i figure the earlier i plan the more i save on hotel/airfare. plus my little brother is trying to plan it around his school schedule. that being said, would it not be worth it for him to go (he'll be 19) and what is the difference between a badge and a wristband that makes it so expensive?

thanks for the info

wristbands only allow you into the clubs, and not all shows will be letting in wristbands. if they expect alot of people, some shows may be badge only shows, as since badge holders paid more, they have priority over wristband holders.

if they are 19, don't expect to get into alot of shows. most of the clubs are 21 and over. minus Emos, Stubbs, Red 7 and i think that's about it. Mind you, alot of the bigger shows are at those venues, but i'm not making any promises.

Music badge holders get a hole lot more. as since it is a conference and not just a festival, the badge allows you access to panels and guest speakers and such. also it allows you into the music related parties. it also allows you into the clubs permitting your 21 and getting into a 21 and over venue.

If i were you and if youre 21, just don't bother gettina wristband or badge, as it's far better goign to the free shows and non-sxsw sponsored events. During sxsw there is a one day fest on saturday that is called "DONT MESS WITH TEXAS" with alot of bands playing for free. Most of the clubs also have free shows during the day as well. And a # of the clubs are also haveing shows at night that are not sxsw sanctioned.

Best thing to do is get a hotel room downtown and not worry about a badge or a wristband.

Also wristbands are only for austin residents, as you have to show proof of residence and when you pick up your wristband, you have to show id, and they place the wristband on you, so you can't really get a wristband.

your bro might be a bit limited to shows at night, not necessarily. Basically, you can have a great time here if you want...

good stuff, thanks for the help. i think i may just wait until some form of schedule is posted and see what happens

well by the time the schedule is posted alot of the hotels are booked. just to let you know. the music schedule comes out around feb so be warned that you may not be able to get a hotel anywhere near downtown by that time.

I went last year and in my experience I think you should get a wristband or a badge. I had fun but it was restricted and that kinda made it shitty. If you wanna be able to go to a bunch of shit I'd get the wristband/badge. My friends out here put on Mess With Texas, so I got to hang out on stages and got free drinks but still theres so much more to do that is kinda hard without the wristband/badge thing. Also I knew a ton of people with wristbands, and none of them were from Austin, they ranged from Philly to here (L.A.). Anyway for a first timer you may wanna try the badge method. I'm probably gonna get one for next year because of the shit that happened this year. Just letting you know, since we're both out of towner's and this year was my first year and next year will be yours.

Badges are fucking expensive, just sayin.

I've been with and without a wristband, and to be honest it didn't really make much a difference as far as being able to see bands I wanted to see. Almost everyone plays at least twice anyway - a lot of bands will do an "official showcase" as well as free day shows/parties.

so it sounds like regardless of how i go about doing things, if i end up in austin it will be fun...i hate making decisions.

Best part about SXSW this year was the Shirts For A Cure show that had about 8 million cases of Vitamin Water sitting next to the stage. I must've raided that stash a half-dozen times during that show.

i bet...i seriously considered making my way over there for that showcase alone. ps-im waiting to hear back from someone interested in my copy of RAR on clear, if that happens ill be getting in touch with you about those radio cd's.

Best part about SXSW this year was the Shirts For A Cure show that had about 8 million cases of Vitamin Water sitting next to the stage. I must've raided that stash a half-dozen times during that show.

Yeah man that Vitamin Water sponsorship was awesome. I remember waiting in line and they were just like HEY VITAMIN WATER and I was like I'M DOWN. Then I got pissed cause it turns out I could have showed up right at noon and still gotten in. Oh well.

when it all comes down to it, it's what bands you want to see, and how open you are to seeing newer bands and bands you haven't heard, which will make the difference. If you want to see the big bands who tour through town, then you might have a problem. or nofx in a small club, then that might be a bit limiting, i've learned over the years, that you don't need to see the touring acts, because, they'll be coming through town in a month anyway. Most day shows are free, and about 1/4 of the bands play during the day at other clubs or parties.

This past year, I saw at least 40 bands that week of music, and i only used my badge once. and was home by 10pm most days. I spent around $40 that whole week, as i knew where the free food was, and free drinks. It's all about the parties. I limited myself because i had no vehicle and had to take a bus home every night..sooo. if that's limiting, i guess you might want to go get a badge.

I've been going since 97' and any local can probably tell ya, most of the bands that play, play at least 3 times, and usually day parties that you can rsvp too anyway just by a simple email. You're options are only as limiting as you want too be. Hell Chuck Ragan played at least 3 times that week, and 2 of them could have been seen just by simply emailing for a party invite.

10+ plus years of doing this, and my first year was pretty limited because i was new and didnt know how it worked or what too look for. After a few years you get the idea of how it all goes down, and really don't need a badge. Seriously, you don't need one. I can give you all the info you need to get hooked up if need be.

2 years ago I spent money on a wristband and there was only one show I was able to get into exclusively due to that (The Draft / Chuck Ragan / etc.) My girlfriend was with me and she got into everything I did except for that. Last year I didn't buy anything and just took advantage of the free shows in the park to see the Breeders and a few others, along with going to the completely free North By Northloop deal to see bands like Hex Dispensers playing in a pizza joint and Teenage Bottlerocket playing in the parking lot outside. Basically I'm saying I won't be buying a wristband or anything again, there's way too much awesome free shit going on. Save your money and get a nice hotel room in the downtown area, and reserve that shit long in advance. That's my advice.

I've been doing it for four years, and i would buy wristbands for exorbitant prices on ebay and then go down there and me and my friends would get a hotel downtown and go to the shows. This was the first year that I went down there with no wristband or hotel and I had much more fun. You just plan on going to free shows, which are all over the place and you get into other shows by having a sliver tongue. Seriously, there are so many people there that you or your friends may or may not know that finding a place to crash is no big deal. Or, do what i did. Call up a girl who you met at fun fun fun fest and shack up with her and then put your penis in her anus.

p.s. If you can get into the red bull parties, DO IT. free red bull and vodka, beers, wine till 5 a.m. EVERY DAY of SXSW. it is way to cool to fathom.

I've been doing it for four years, and i would buy wristbands for exorbitant prices on ebay and then go down there and me and my friends would get a hotel downtown and go to the shows. This was the first year that I went down there with no wristband or hotel and I had much more fun. You just plan on going to free shows, which are all over the place and you get into other shows by having a sliver tongue. Seriously, there are so many people there that you or your friends may or may not know that finding a place to crash is no big deal. Or, do what i did. Call up a girl who you met at fun fun fun fest and shack up with her and then put your penis in her anus.

p.s. If you can get into the red bull parties, DO IT. free red bull and vodka, beers, wine till 5 a.m. EVERY DAY of SXSW. it is way to cool to fathom.

i actually know the person who runs the red bull parties, and i got bitched out for not going..lol i knew i should have gone.. next time though.. i heard it was pretty kickin' this year around.