what is the lowest feasible number of 7"s to press

what I mean is obviously you're not going to only press 100 7"s because the average cost of the 7" will be a lot higher than if you press more.

Can you press say 200 or 300 7"s and still keep the average price below $5?

If anyone can post ballpark costs, that'd be cool. I don't want to run out and get quotes because I have no idea how many I'd want to do.

United does a very good job of laying out all the fees on their site.

http://www.urpressing.com/pricing/vinyl/7inch.php

The up front fees all come out to about $460. After that is done you just multiply the amount of records you want to press by the amount each record costs ($.44 for a black 7"). They're running a special where you can get mixed color vinyl (you know, the stuff No Idea uses that everyone complains about) for $.35 a record).

Anyways, I'm just about ready to send everything in and I'm anticipating spending just under $600 for 300 7"s. Then I'm going to make the inserts myself at work on a copy machine (just pay for paper), I'm getting a pretty good deal on B&W covers and then I just need to buy plastic sleeves. All in all I'm looking at $700 for 300, but I've never done this before so I could be wrong.

I know that this is a stupid question, but I'm curious how Indy labels operate.

Do you guys give the band a percentage of each record sold?

I was reading an article and it discussed majors giving artist points or some shit. Do indy labels ever use that system?

I never realized how small the profit margin was to press vinyl. Sucks!

I was reading an article and it discussed majors giving artist points or some shit. Do indy labels ever use that system?

bands get 10-15% of the pressing typically...or at least that's what I do...and most of the labels I've talked with do.

there is very little money to be made in vinyl, 7"s are almost a lost cause in profits...they barely make their money back.

unless you can sell 1000+ records you're not really making that much money.

United does a very good job of laying out all the fees on their site.

http://www.urpressing.com/pricing/vinyl/7inch.php

The up front fees all come out to about $460. After that is done you just multiply the amount of records you want to press by the amount each record costs ($.44 for a black 7"). They're running a special where you can get mixed color vinyl (you know, the stuff No Idea uses that everyone complains about) for $.35 a record).

Anyways, I'm just about ready to send everything in and I'm anticipating spending just under $600 for 300 7"s. Then I'm going to make the inserts myself at work on a copy machine (just pay for paper), I'm getting a pretty good deal on B&W covers and then I just need to buy plastic sleeves. All in all I'm looking at $700 for 300, but I've never done this before so I could be wrong.

And I'm only charging like 400 blow jobs for the artwork. Hugs I meant hugs.

bands get 10-15% of the pressing typically...or at least that's what I do...and most of the labels I've talked with do.

there is very little money to be made in vinyl, 7"s are almost a lost cause in profits...they barely make their money back.

unless you can sell 1000+ records you're not really making that much money.

I give the band 10% and charge them cost for however more copies they want. I usually split profits 50-50. Though that comes with a few caveats about how much money I can provide for recording costs, etc.

Concurrently, would it be cheaper to press a small run of one-sided 12"'s than it would to press a double-sided 7"? Plate fees halved, etc...

theoretically. since you're using half the amount of labels, that portion would be cheaper especially if you did black vinyl...this actually gives me an idea...

edit...it would probably roughly equal out to being about the same, the more i think about it.

Concurrently, would it be cheaper to press a small run of one-sided 12"'s than it would to press a double-sided 7"? Plate fees halved, etc...

theoretically. since you're using half the amount of labels, that portion would be cheaper especially if you did black vinyl...this actually gives me an idea...

I was thinking all the packaging would be more though. Wonder if the two costs offset?

no talk has pressed their singles in numbers of 250. and still wholesaled it for 2.50.

like i said it's theoretically possible, you just have to do everything on the cheap or have massive hook ups.

plating alone is $257 at Aardvark so.

250 x 2.50 = $625 - $257 = $368

so you can probably get United or Musicol to press 250 records the labels will run like $50-$80 then covers if they were photocopies or whatever you could make it happen...

no talk has pressed their singles in numbers of 250. and still wholesaled it for 2.50.

like i said it's theoretically possible, you just have to do everything on the cheap or have massive hook ups.

so you can probably get United or Musicol to press 250 records the labels will run like $50-$80 then covers if they were photocopies or whatever you could make it happen...

... either that or just accept that you're gonna lose money on doing wholesale for you records, and just keep your fingers crossed that you make a profit on the 2nd pressing.

7"s arent exactly a profit making, or even a breaking even release, but if you make it to the 2nd press, all your plating/mastering/etc has already been taking care of, so you're really just paying the $0.35 or whatever the cost is per record.

... either that or just accept that you're gonna lose money on doing wholesale for you records, and just keep your fingers crossed that you make a profit on the 2nd pressing.

7"s arent exactly a profit making, or even a breaking even release, but if you make it to the 2nd press, all your plating/mastering/etc has already been taking care of, so you're really just paying the $0.35 or whatever the cost is per record.

Very much backed!

From my experience 7's are typically used as a promotional tool to either promote an upcoming full length or to strengthen a back catalog. It is next to impossible to turn a profit on a 7" especially if your distributed.

I have only pressed one 7" in my entire life, and that was in the 90's.

p.s be careful if you want a repress with Urp, if you wait several months they will probably say that your plates were damaged, or they got "lost".

Guest afsdan

I've never pressed more than 480 7", (though most records I do have a run of 300), and I've never lost money.

you just have to be creative with labels, covers, etc. there are costs that you just can't get around (aardvark, pressing plant, etc), but after that, it's all up to your imagination.

look in your local paper warehouse's dumpster and you'll find a treasure trove.

silkscreen your covers

make stamps for labels (or even covers)

I sell 7" for $4

wholesale em for $3

---a 1-sided 12" might cost just as much as a 7". sure you have half the plating costs, but you still have to pay for a full 12" to be pressed.

Guest afsdan

by the way, you could probably press 200 7" and still make $$$

anything less, you'll have a hard time with the per-record costs.

creativity is key!!

I've never pressed more than 480 7", (though most records I do have a run of 300), and I've never lost money.

you just have to be creative with labels, covers, etc. there are costs that you just can't get around (aardvark, pressing plant, etc), but after that, it's all up to your imagination.

look in your local paper warehouse's dumpster and you'll find a treasure trove.

silkscreen your covers

make stamps for labels (or even covers)

I sell 7" for $4

wholesale em for $3

---a 1-sided 12" might cost just as much as a 7". sure you have half the plating costs, but you still have to pay for a full 12" to be pressed.

I'm just personally not a big fan of 7"'s - if I were to press a four song EP I'd just do the one-sided 12". I think they look cooler but that's just me. And I also think you could get away with charging more than a 7".