Selling Stuff on eBay advice

thrillho

So i'm going to make the jump from buyer to seller on ebay. I've never sold anything on the site before, and I was wondering if anyone had some good tips on how to go about doing it, (ex- what to avoid, essential things to do, ebay fees, etc...)

I searched about 2 months back and didnt see a thread like this, but i think it'll help others out who are looking to start selling on ebay.

Just provide good pictures, make sure to write up all the details about what your selling, thats my 2 cents.

exactamundo. make your description as detailed as possible. and make sure to state that you do not take responsibility for lost or damaged in shipping. offer insurance options. buyers rarely use them but stating them in the listing will help with paypal compensation issues should any disasters happen.

dont overcharge with shipping.

buyers are more likely to leave negative feedback now that sellers cant leave negative feedback so keep em happy and you shouldnt have any dramas.

either start the bidding low (if you have anything of value its going to go for the right price assuming you listed the item well) or just flat out do a buy it now for what you want. avoid reserves. i find they very rarely exceed the reserved price and bidders dont like them. when listing records, i recommend including "lp" or "vinyl" in the title. " 12" " and "record" do not work nearly as well.

i like to have auctions end on weekends, or at least during times when the majority of people aren't at work. so try to aim for evening/weekend auction endings, if at all possible. i find the stuff i put up that fits in this window generally sells for more $$$/receives more bids.

Poor ending time is the way I scored my Murder By Death - Matt Davis for cheap!

:)

I don't understand why sellers can leave negative feedback. What if the buyer doesn't pay?

theres a link in the feedback section of the sellers account, underneath the listing, that you click if you have problems with the transaction.

like i;ve just had to do. the only options you have as a seller with feedback is to leave positive or report a problem. part of the rash of changes ebay has recently made. most of them suck.

most of ebays most recent changes pander to the buyer and are not partial to the seller (ie. the feedback changes) but they also restructured their fees as well. they lowered listing fees but bumped up the final value fees pretty substantially. meaning the only way it works to your advantage now fee-wise is if your item doesnt sell (in terms of what you would have paid to list a non-selling item in the past). the catch though is that if you start low--which is what smart sellers do--the difference is minimal in terms of what youre saving on listing fees--like 5 - 10 cents and now theyre taking a bigger cut on the final value fee (ebays % based on what your item sells for). they marketed the changes in a pretty sly way--talking about slashing listing fees and what not but really theyre making more money now on the back end of the deal because they bumped the final value fees. some people on here had some actual numbers of what the difference worked out being before and after the changes but ive got no clue where that thread disappeared to.

i like to have auctions end on weekends, or at least during times when the majority of people aren't at work. so try to aim for evening/weekend auction endings, if at all possible. i find the stuff i put up that fits in this window generally sells for more $$$/receives more bids.

Statistically speaking a weekend is the best day to end an auction, eBay gets much much more traffic on weekends.

Best listing time for unique items, do a 10 day starting Thursday, you get 2 weekends in and you end on a Sunday.

ill for sure stick some of the LPs on here before I go the ebay way. but im also selling a variety of crap. i just opened up a bunch of storage boxes from my basement and picked out what I think I could get money for; like hockey cards, paintball gear, casettes, xbox games, books, etc. plus my lady wants me to put some her stuff up there too.

It's just annoying because it's not only her, she tells other people about it. Like her friend from church's husband just died and she wants me to sell his comic's one by one. I'm thinking of making a list and putting here before eBay, lot's of people are into comics here.

I hear that, my uncle wants me to sell them one by one too. I made a list of everything and offered it here first but my uncle told me he wanted to sell them on ebay only so I ended up going through tons of work and letting a lot of people down for nothing.

Sad thing is chances are most of those comics arent worth anything, thats what I'm finding with most of this old vinyl.

ebays fees are 8.75% of the first $25 and 3.5% of the remaining value. i suggest starting your bids at 99 cents if you dont really care to much about how much it goes for or if you think it will get high bids anyway...the insert fees are cheapest when you start things at 99 cents. dont make your shipping prices too high cause chances are theyll complain or leave a negative now that sellers cant leave bad feedback. make sure you get delivery conformation on your packages cause if not somone can make a paypal claim and pretty much win(get a refund) whether they get the item or not. turbo lister is a good program to use..you can find it on ebay.com it makes listing a lot faster and its free...basically you prepare the listing and then upload it (windows only)

if you want to use more than one photo or have big photos i suggest hosting them yourself for free and just putting in the html codes...that way you dont have to pay ebays stupid fees for extra photos

• 2 weeks later...

another ebay question:

im using turbo lister and when I try to upload my auctions to ebay it tells me that I need to set up a seller's account and give a vaild creidt card. I'm already a Paypal Premier account, and I'm not finding anything on Ebay where I can make a "seller's account". do i have to create an entirely new account? what's the deal here?!

thanks for any suggestions!

another ebay question:

im using turbo lister and when I try to upload my auctions to ebay it tells me that I need to set up a seller's account and give a vaild creidt card. I'm already a Paypal Premier account, and I'm not finding anything on Ebay where I can make a "seller's account". do i have to create an entirely new account? what's the deal here?!

thanks for any suggestions!

Google "ebay sellers account".

click first link.

educate.