No Idea re-releasing Lifetime s/t LP?

mclz

Guest havenhurst
i'd be alright with represses as long as they were limited to 4-8 different pressings (each one being one or two color specific), and then stopped (like they did with earlier no idea releases).

with the exception of the super early 7 inches, i don't think there are any records no idea doesn't continue to repress as long as they continue to sell.

ltj - losers, kings -4th repress coming soon

hwm/tomorrow 11" - 7 pressings

hwm - finding the rhythms - 12th pressing coming soon

ltj/kemuri 7" - 7 pressings

i hate myself -10 songs - 8 pressings

post-super early 7 inches, the only stuff that isn't continually repressed are records by bands like pung, king friday, when puberty strikes, and clairmel.

oh, and of course there's no way in hell any pressing of this lifetime record will be 1-2 color specific. i don't know....maybe.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, at least No Idea probably won't fuck up the ordering process. I'm still pissed that some people got like six of these and I ordered two and only got one because they oversold it. I wrote the label an email, nicely complaining that I thought it was unfair, etc. They didn't even have the decency to write back. So fuck them.

Listen, I have nothing against no idea and I never said that there lay out, inserts, covers, or anything else was cheap. I was just talking about the vinyl, they hardly press anything on solid colors, it's all leftover colors from other presses for records that are mixed together and they get them at the same price as the black vinyl. I have put out records and I, personally, have spent the extra few bucks so I could have nice looking vinyl and not a hodge podge of 8 different colors so it all comes out looking like something I left in the toilet after a night at the local burrito joint.

Now that wouldn't make me made if it was the limited color, say 300 on shit colored vinyl and the rest on black....or blue or any solid color. But they proceed to not only put out ugly VINYL but then they say that only 30 have an orange streak in it, and then only 60 have some pink swirl and etc, etc, etc. It's all the same base color with some hardly distinguishable mark of another color. I have NO problems with them pressing or repressing anything, and I probably won't buy it seeing as the only thing off the top of my head I own by them is the This is my fist LP and the Asshole Parade lp's. But to each his own and obviously they have a big collector fan base judging by the responses. Also sorry if I offended anyone, that wasn't my intention, just voicing my opinion.

did you bother looking at the no idea discography page before assuming everything is grey or not on solid colors? I guess not.

Dude, I said in my last post that SOME things are, but the majority of their stuff, like most of the HWM and Against me, which are their MAIN sellers, are on greyish vinyl. Thats all I'm saying, infact I think the asshole parade and TIMF records I have are on those colors as well.

I'm actually with xforlifex on this one, even though I have no interest in this particular record. I think calling pressing accidents "rare" or saying it's /4 or whatever is a shitty practice. It's not like that color was planned at all, because I do believe what he's saying about paying less for that "color" because it's all the leftover shit thrown together. Variances in the use of different colors by the pressing plant causes the inconsistencies in the shade of that sludgy purple/grey color, not choice. It's really just all that same vague color. And I'm not saying No Idea puts everything out on this color, but they do put a LOT out on it. 6 or 7 "different colors" on a 15th repress is just plain excessive, in my opinion.

I'm actually with xforlifex on this one, even though I have no interest in this particular record. I think calling pressing accidents "rare" or saying it's /4 or whatever is a shitty practice. It's not like that color was planned at all, because I do believe what he's saying about paying less for that "color" because it's all the leftover shit thrown together. Variances in the use of different colors by the pressing plant causes the inconsistencies in the shade of that sludgy purple/grey color, not choice. It's really just all that same vague color. And I'm not saying No Idea puts everything out on this color, but they do put a LOT out on it. 6 or 7 "different colors" on a 15th repress is just plain excessive, in my opinion.

Thank you for seeing where I'm coming from and not trying to make me out as the elitest asshole that I'm not.

call me crazy, but wouldn't no idea have started labelling them out of whatever because that's what the consumer/collector wanted? if they're going to all the trouble of maintaining an accurate discography page because people want to know what their pressing is out of you might as well be honest. and just because a /4 is a pressing error or something doesn't change the fact that that's what the breakdown is.

it's just another business model. some labels won't press more than 500 copies of something on one colour, no idea has no qualms about doing multiple colours and pressings. as a consumer you make the choice of where to put your money. i have a tonne of hot water music and other no idea! stuff, but in my opinion its silly and unecessary (for me, personally) to chase down one of every variant of every colour of every pressing. you make the choice. if you don't like the model then don't give them your business.

and maybe they're colourblind or something and just really like grey because it's the only colour they know 100% is what it looks like.

Guest conoley

As far as I know they rarely ask for any particular colours and just ask the pressing plant to do up "whatever." But as I said before, when you look at most of their records that aren't Against Me! of HWM related, there aren't too many weird /4s available. The bulk of their records, even if repressed, are /100 or /500

Well, at least No Idea probably won't fuck up the ordering process. I'm still pissed that some people got like six of these and I ordered two and only got one because they oversold it. I wrote the label an email, nicely complaining that I thought it was unfair, etc. They didn't even have the decency to write back. So fuck them.

they have a telephone and i'm assuming you do too, and jen or whoever is around will usually help you out. if you are going by the fact that you sent an e-mail and it may have gotten lost in the barrage of "only dicks press so much grey vinyl" or "your shitty colors are for fags" e-mail that it appears they probably get every day, and just gave up, i think that it's probably more your fault than anything else. phones kids, phones.

Guest kingbuzzo

they have a telephone and i'm assuming you do too, and jen or whoever is around will usually help you out. if you are going by the fact that you sent an e-mail and it may have gotten lost in the barrage of "only dicks press so much grey vinyl" or "your shitty colors are for fags" e-mail that it appears they probably get every day, and just gave up, i think that it's probably more your fault than anything else. phones kids, phones.

I actually think he's talking about the original release of this LP that No Idea had nothing to do with.

phones kids, phones.

dude, oakland is probably way older than you. respect your elders.

older or not, i wouldn't be saying "fuck them" if i just sent an e-mail when the phone numbers are clearly put on the website. no idea is actually there to help, hell they've called me when i've sent e-mails because it's a fuck of a lot easier than trying to figure things out over a computer.

I actually think he's talking about the original release of this LP that No Idea had nothing to do with.

and in that case, i'm a douche.

I've stayed out of this for seven pages, now it's my turn. I love No Idea. They run a great label, put out great records and having stellar prices. Yeah, the shippings a bit slow, but I don't care because I'm saving money buying from them. I also don't care what color their vinyl is if it's a release I just want to have a copy of. If I collected a band on No Idea, however, I would care. I don't care about how many they press, that's great and makes sure everyone who wants a record can get one. What bothers me is the variations. I don't even care about the ugly grey/purple color. As a collector, I would like to have every version, but sometimes (note that I said SOMETIMES before you start talking shit) No Idea makes that impossible, making a pressing of a record with seven different colors in it, four of which are limited to 30 or less and most of which get sent out to a handpicked list of people. It's frustrating. I like what they did with Chuck Ragan's Feast Or Faimine, three solid colors. If they do that with Lifetime, I'll be pumped. If they don't, oh well. It's my choice whether to buy it or not and I'll decide when that day comes. Either way, it's a great record and I'm stoked that people who originally missed out on the vinyl will now get a chance to hear it. I'm also pumped because I know No Idea will treat the record right and do a nice cover, insert, labels, etc...as opposed to FBR's flimsy and downright hollow pressing.

I've stayed out of this for seven pages, now it's my turn. I love No Idea. They run a great label, put out great records and having stellar prices. Yeah, the shippings a bit slow, but I don't care because I'm saving money buying from them. I also don't care what color their vinyl is if it's a release I just want to have a copy of. If I collected a band on No Idea, however, I would care. I don't care about how many they press, that's great and makes sure everyone who wants a record can get one. What bothers me is the variations. I don't even care about the ugly grey/purple color. As a collector, I would like to have every version, but sometimes (note that I said SOMETIMES before you start talking shit) No Idea makes that impossible, making a pressing of a record with seven different colors in it, four of which are limited to 30 or less and most of which get sent out to a handpicked list of people. It's frustrating. I like what they did with Chuck Ragan's Feast Or Faimine, three solid colors. If they do that with Lifetime, I'll be pumped. If they don't, oh well. It's my choice whether to buy it or not and I'll decide when that day comes. Either way, it's a great record and I'm stoked that people who originally missed out on the vinyl will now get a chance to hear it. I'm also pumped because I know No Idea will treat the record right and do a nice cover, insert, labels, etc...as opposed to FBR's flimsy and downright hollow pressing.

amen.