MLB Discussion

Aroldis hit 100 strikouts on the year through 53.2 innings. Nuts!

$30 million over 6 years is a freaking steal of a contract for the Reds. I wonder what the record is for strikeouts in a season without making a single start?

I remember when he became a FA from Cuba that he got that contract and everyone was like holy shit, thats a lot of money for a pitcher who people have barely even seen play. Now its one of the most team-friendly contracts in the league (I think Longoria is still the biggest bargain in all of baseball, maybe behind Trout just cause Trout is still in his rookie contract and obviously hasnt even gone thru arbitration yet). I know the Angels were in talks with Chapman before he signed with the Reds, I think it was Kendrys who was kinda recruiting him. Id kill to have that guy in our pen right now considering how much of a joke its been this year. I havent seen a lefty throw like that since The Big Unit.

Does anyone here agree with how the Nationals are handling Strasburg?

I feel that they should just let him pitch. To much coddling of players these days. Plus if I was him and they kept on doing this to him I'd leave first chance I got. I understand they have made an investment in him but this could be their chance to make the playoff etc. You don't know what next year what your competition or how your team will progress/digress.

coddling is the worst. all it does is serve for justification of the outrageous contracts these guys sign.

i totally understand that from and ownership and management perspective, its important not to burn out a star pitchers arm. but you just hear it, all to constantly, from the guys of way back when telling about going CG on the reg. yet felix dubronts getting shut down for now, because now hes accumulated a few more innings than he did last year. ::wank wank::

Dubront is getting shut down cause he is pitching poor as hell. Fuck, he through 100 pitches in 4.1 innings? Thats not a good thing.

As far as Strasburg, it is an incredibly smart move to limit him. Considering he pushed himself to come back faster than the time table from Tommy John and EVERY doctor is saying that he should not over pitch this year as it could have serious damage to him. It is not coddling him when they want to make sure he still has an arm after a major surgery. I would however had rested him before now, having him miss a start here and there so he could pitch down the stretch/playoffs.

They arent banking on winning next year, they are doing it for safety. They have a lot invested in him. They can pitch him till his arm falls off this year, and then are stuck with 5 years of a contract with the talent of a Rick Ankiel. He is getting butts into the stadium ever since he came up, why blow it all on one year when you can get people to keep coming out for 5 more years selling out every game? Business wise it is the smartest thing to do.

I think them winning will put more butts in the seats than anything else.

Plus he is a pitcher. The motion puts so much stress on his arm that he is going to eventually break down.

Football teams don't stop playing young players near the end of the season because they could get hurt and they want to save him for years to come when they are leading the league.

Everytime he throws the ball he risks ending it all. He knows that and wants to keep on playing.

1) Strasburg has already been injured and is coming back earlier than anyone else from a career changing surgery. Look at the top tier talent that has had it and never got back on track from it.

2) there is a huge difference between any player in football and a pitcher. The pitcher is putting his arm in stress on every single play, the QB gets hand-offs to save arm and taking hits, RB and WR get rotated out and defensive players dont play in every formation.

Yet at the end of their careers who is crippled?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8253442/shut-stephen-strasburg-just-let-pitch

Read the quotes from the pitchers. I get that rest may prolong his career but would you rather have a career of mediocrity because you were babied or one where you were a winner?

If they're really going to shut Stras down then they should have just skipped a handful of starts throughout the year so they have him to throw in important games at the end of the season. Put pitch count limits on him early in the year....stuff like that. Not go balls out all year then wait til the end of August and completely shut him down. Plus it looks like they will get into the playoffs and then he's obviously going to pitch in game 1 and wont have pitched against live hitting in a month or whatever. I understand what they're doing and its not a bad idea, I just think they are going about it wrong.

Yet at the end of their careers who is crippled?

http://espn.go.com/m...-just-let-pitch

Read the quotes from the pitchers. I get that rest may prolong his career but would you rather have a career of mediocrity because you were babied or one where you were a winner?

When you are the team and you dont care about winning as much as you do as making money hand over fist? You do the smart thing. This isnt up to him, its up to the people that are making millions of dollars off of him. they are doing the smart business move.