NFL Discussion

i see this as brady's consolation prize. he may have lost to flacco in the post-season, but he just kicked his ass in the off-season.

"oh, you won ONE super bowl? and you deserve to be the highest paid player of all time? yeah, have fun with that when your owner can't afford any talent. meanwhile, i just went ahead and made sure that my team has the resources to get better. see you in september, joey."

i tend to disagree completely.  the owners should they do care for him, his teammates are very happy for him, and the man gets paid.  they avoided having to use the franchise tag on him and saved some cap space. i'm sure joe is ready to see tommy in september as well.

yes he has one super bowl right now, however; he is the most winningest qb for the amount of games played and the only qb to make a playoff appearance each year in the nfl and win at least one game and each of those years.  he has plenty of times to have more chances at winning super bowls and will still have talent around him with the youth movement in baltimore.

he is just receiving FAR too much individual credit. the ravens defense did far more in 19 games than he did. 

he just happened to end up on a good team with the luxury of a lot of solid components that make up for what he really lacks.

give him his contract, but jesus christ, the largest ever? it's a total joke.

i tend to disagree completely.  the owners should they do care for him, his teammates are very happy for him, and the man gets paid.  they avoided having to use the franchise tag on him and saved some cap space. i'm sure joe is ready to see tommy in september as well.

yes he has one super bowl right now, however; he is the most winningest qb for the amount of games played and the only qb to make a playoff appearance each year in the nfl and win at least one game and each of those years.  he has plenty of times to have more chances at winning super bowls and will still have talent around him with the youth movement in baltimore.

Flacco may have more wins than Rodgers (2 more, in 2 more games started), but Rodgers is by far a superior QB than Joey is.

i am definitely a homer. i've been a flacco apologist since year 1. right now though, my team is super bowl champs and it couldn't been done without any other qb.  man threw 11 tds and 0 interceptions and tied joe montanas record.  very excited to see what he can do with him caldwells offense next season.

something pretty awesome that was just posted the other day by torrey smith and his fiance.  dude is such a good guy.

Flacco didnt have a top 10 defense this year. QBs that get much more love than him (Rogers, Brady, Ryan, Manning, Manning) had more help from the other side of the ball this year. Is he the best QB or player in the league, no but he is not that far off. By the time his contract is up it probably won't even be a top 10 QB deal.

Baltimore was the 8th best defense in terms of yards / play, which is the least biased defensive statistic. Green Bay was 17th, New England was 23rd, Atlanta was 30th, Denver was 2nd, and the Giants were 29th.

I don't think I agree with that first statement. 

Would you rather allow yards or points? 

I don't think I agree with that first statement. 

Would you rather allow yards or points? 

Obviously, yards. But yards per play has a much greater sample size than points per game, which is why I trust it more. Points can be flukey.

My point is that there is no way to completely separate offense and defense (I could make a much more complicated statement to this but I am hoping I won't need to). The Ravens were also 3rd in the NFL in tackles, and 5th in passes deflected, which are indicators that the defense spent a lot of time on the field. The more time a team spends on defense, the more points they are going to give up, even if they are playing at a high level.

Don't forget about Cary Williams, Ngata, Paul Kruger. Don't get the same hype but just as important.

They are a balanced team. Not trying to say that it was all offense or defense. But that is the whole point that started this conversation. They aren't going to be able to stay a balanced team paying Flacco that much.

If the NFL stops raising the cap or QB salaries quit going up then the Ravens MIGHT be in trouble. Right now they have a solid QB locked up (if they want) for 6 years. You don't think Ryan, Stafford, and Romo are going to get similar deals if not more? The Broncos and Saints are paying QBs 20 million a year and I don't think either team is cutting guys left and right to get cap room. 

If the contract does end up being too much for his level of play they will just cut him or restructure like the Birds did with Vick. These contracts are always inflated numbers so the players and agents can look better.

I don't know too much about the broncos but then saints had the worst defense in the nfl last year. That's an example of what you don't want the ravens to become.

No, I do not think those guys will get deals as big. Stafford keeps restructuring every 2 years it seems. I think he is locked up for another 6 years or so. Definitely not Romo. Ryan might try and use Flacco's deal to his advantage at the negotiating table.

Will Flacco restructure if his play dips? Who knows. Based on recent attitudes, I'd bet against it. You don't want to give a guy a ton of money and just think "oh well, we can always cut him". Just seems like bad management and it messes with cap hits.

I give the Saints D a pass for last year. Suspensions, no head coach, new D coordinator. 

Stafford already has a 20mil cap hit, I bet it gets redone at some point this year. Romo has a pretty great career QB rating, I don't think Dallas lets him get away. He will get a shorter deal, but the avg number is going to be big.

"oh well, we can always cut him" is the way most NFL contracts work at this point. 

joes deal looks great.  very team friendly.  ozzie newsome and steve bisciotti are some of the smartest owners and executives in the nfl.  a lot of good is going to come from having flacco, rice, and ngata locked up for a long time and extra money than anticipated.

how is joe's deal team friendly???  HE's 1/5 OF THE CAP HIT FOR NEXT SEASON!!!  ONE GUY!!

Just means it's a larger cap hit later

definitely.  short term wise, the ravens are looking great and hopefully with new tv deals and all that other stuff the cap will continue to raise in the nfl.  

again, i couldn't be happier and am extremely glad to have him back and happy as well as other players and coaching staff being happy.