Why the "combination" categories of grading vinyl conditions?

Or maybe "mixed" categories is a better descriptor.  It was some time ago I had posted about entering my vinyl collection into a database.  And probably contrary to what you would think, as long as it has been, I am making progress on that project.  But I am curious about the grading system for vinyl.  It would seem  the "Goldmine Grading Guide"  is the system most used for assigning a grade to one's album.  With the two lowest condition levels there are two codes for each.  

The lowest level is described as "Poor (P), Fair(F)" and the next rung up as "Good(G), Good+(G+)".  Within each of  these two groups there is no description to separate the two members.  As an example within the "Good(G), Good Plus(G+) designation the description, in part, says, "An item in Good (G) or Good Plus (G+) condition can be played through without skipping, but it will have significant surface noise, scratches, crackling, or visible wear."  (it goes on.)  As with the "Fair, Poor" category there is no description to separate the two.

Does everyone just arbitrarily decide which category is most accurate for his or her album?  Or does one always consider the two descriptors as a single group.  i.e., my album is "Good or Good Plus"? 

Edited by matonanjin
mispelling

Fair is typically slightly better than poor, but not quite "good." G+ is the same between good and vg. Often times people grade something a little low so that they don't get someone saying they over-rated, so you may get a vg that was graded g+ so as to not oversell it.

No one really buys anything below vg+ (media) anyway unless it's incredibly rare and sought after. Under VG is straight garbage, and vg is often pretty bad.

It's pretty intuitive if you think about it at all and speak English.

Edited by TheGhostOfRandySavage

In terms of the grading for buying used records, i would think most people are going to pay attention to the comments on the condition more than the grading. For one, everyone’s idea of “VG+” is different. And then it’s just easier to get a visual description idea of any flaws like “has a 2 inch seam split” or has some creasing on back of jacket.

like Randy said above, anything under VG is where you actually start to see something noticeably worth dropping significant cost/value. 

33 minutes ago, TheGhostOfRandySavage said:

Fair is typically slightly better than poor, but not quite "good." G+ is the same between good and vg. Often times people grade something a little low so that they don't get someone saying they over-rated, so you may get a vg that was graded g+ so as to not oversell it.

No one really buys anything below vg+ (media) anyway unless it's incredibly rare and sought after. Under VG is straight garbage, and vg is often pretty bad.

It's pretty intuitive if you think about it at all and speak English.

VG shouldn't be garbage if it's graded correctly, but also skirts a fine line of G(+) depending on the grader.  Once you get to that grading, visual doesn't cut it any more and it needs to be listened to which is obviously time consuming if you're selling in volume.  It's a slippery slope.  I try to be ultra conservative, don't have time to play grade, and probably pitch records that sound better than they look at times but that's life.

2 minutes ago, ZeroNowhere said:

VG shouldn't be garbage if it's graded correctly, but also skirts a fine line of G(+) depending on the grader.  Once you get to that grading, visual doesn't cut it any more and it needs to be listened to which is obviously time consuming if you're selling in volume.  It's a slippery slope.  I try to be ultra conservative, don't have time to play grade, and probably pitch records that sound better than they look at times but that's life.

Yeah, that's why I said "under vg" and not "vg and under." I agree with you.

Edit: vg often doesn't meet my personal standards though. It's gonna vary person to person.

Edited by TheGhostOfRandySavage

1 hour ago, TheGhostOfRandySavage said:

Yeah, that's why I said "under vg" and not "vg and under." I agree with you.

Edit: vg often doesn't meet my personal standards though. It's gonna vary person to person.

Agreed.  I found some awesome records at a flea this weekend but most were visually VG so I passed.  That said, one record looked great but plays G+.  It must have groove damage that I can't see from heat because it's still jacked after cleaning.  The other 5 I bought from same collection based on persons name on the jackets were great.  Records............but here I am complaining about a Europe record sounding like shit.  I need help.