This Russian war thing...

I watched the news this morning for about 10-minutes while I was ironing my clothes before work. Within that short period of time I've already seen more pictures of of the destruction (wounded, death, buildings destroyed, etc..) in Georgia from the Russians that I've seen in Iraq the last 2+ years*. All you see about Iraq is occasionally a helicopter or an explosion at night.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest afsdan

tit for tat, dude. Georgia tries to assert some control, Russia shows who's really in charge. US/UN asks nicely for both parties to stop. Everyone ignores.

Guest conoley
I watched the news this morning for about 10-minutes while I was ironing my clothes before work. Within that short period of time I've already seen more pictures of of the destruction (wounded, death, buildings destroyed, etc..) in Georgia from the Russians that I've seen in Iraq the last 2+ years*. All you see about Iraq is occasionally a helicopter or an explosion at night.

American media doesn't report on Iraq the same way they report on wars elsewhere.

American media doesn't report on Iraq the same way they report on wars elsewhere.

That's probably the most accurate reason as to why Americans haven't seen the death and destruction inherit in any war.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':5r2ilajv]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':5r2ilajv]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

This isn't going to end well. This is going to turn into Cold War 2: Electric Boogaloo. If measures escalate much further, there is going to be a UN/US presence there within the year's end. And by presence, I mean occupation. This is also coming at a time where Iraq is demanding a timetable withdrawl, and more troop focus is heading back to Afghanistan. Things are not looking bright folks. Give it two weeks, and Israel and Palestine will start going at it again.

This better not start a draft right after I graduated. Fuckers.

That's probably the most accurate reason as to why Americans haven't seen the death and destruction inherit in any war.

I don't know if I would agree with that. Vietnam was and is still tagged as the first war brought to the masses. Sure, a great deal of it was censored, but it did bring the sobering reality of deaths with moving pictures to the public. Seeing the rockets fly and the fires and some of the deaths, it brought about a need for protest, along with other reasons such as validity and necessity and improper fear mongering from LBJ and then Nixon to a greater extent. There is information out there for the people to see how deeply the war impacts life through death, but like it has been said, the MASS media has done a poor job of reporting as such. Seeing bodies is more impacting than hearing about death toll numbers.

I don't know if I would agree with that. Vietnam was and is still tagged as the first war brought to the masses. Sure, a great deal of it was censored, but it did bring the sobering reality of deaths with moving pictures to the public. Seeing the rockets fly and the fires and some of the deaths, it brought about a need for protest, along with other reasons such as validity and necessity and improper fear mongering from LBJ and then Nixon to a greater extent. There is information out there for the people to see how deeply the war impacts life through death, but like it has been said, the MASS media has done a poor job of reporting as such. Seeing bodies is more impacting than hearing about death toll numbers.

Vietnam was more than 30 years ago. And honestly you agree with me. Mass media doesn't cover death any more and people protest when they do. How many issues were there when, I believe, ABC wanted to read aloud the names of all the soldiers who had dided in Iraq? Mass media is honestly the only media that matters sinces it how the majority of people get their news.

Vietnam was more than 30 years ago. And honestly you agree with me. Mass media doesn't cover death any more and people protest when they do. How many issues were there when, I believe, ABC wanted to read aloud the names of all the soldiers who had dided in Iraq? Mass media is honestly the only media that matters sinces it how the majority of people get their news.

This is true, and I'm not fighting your logic either. Mass Media is they way I would say 85% of the population gets there info about the war. But the issues about the reading the names of people who fought and died are very similar to issues such as the media's over-infatuation with Obama, sensationalism, how "the media covers Iraq"; these are all issues which are generated by these media outlets. Watching the news watch itself is about as effective as letting starving children watch you eat McDonalds.

This is true, and I'm not fighting your logic either. Mass Media is they way I would say 85% of the population gets there info about the war. But the issues about the reading the names of people who fought and died are very similar to issues such as the media's over-infatuation with Obama, sensationalism, how "the media covers Iraq"; these are all issues which are generated by these media outlets. Watching the news watch itself is about as effective as letting starving children watch you eat McDonalds.

I definitely agree with that. Its troubling in my mind how much news the media creates.

I'm partly surprised Team America isn't stating it's dominance already, them boyo's be fucking with your oil. On the other hand I'm not suprised because if America fucks with Russia, well you guys are finally gonna get the ass kicking the rest of the world has been calling for, just unfortuantely at the hands of the wrong country.

(I'm sorry for my callous nature, and when is say 'You' I of course don't mean the American people at large, just your government and political institutions and their belief that freedom belongs to America and no-one else)

I don't think Russia has much left of its past military might in regards to its ability to pick a fight with the US or similar nations.

That depends on whether you think a pan continental war would be fought with proxy battles or with great huge fuck off Nukes, which russia is just bat shit crazy enough to unleash.

Guest afsdan
I don't think Russia has much left of its past military might in regards to its ability to pick a fight with the US or similar nations.

Russia has most of the oil in that region, they don't have shoot one bullet, they just have to turn off the pipeline.

Guest afsdan
What makes you think Russia cares about other nations

ding ding! we have a winner!

they turned off the flow of natural gas to Georgia last January.

it gets pretty cold out there in January...

they don't want to end the world w/nukes. they would love to fuck with the economies of other countries, however.