XBMC

I don't know how many of you here utilize media centers, but I wanted to start a thread to talk about how awesome XBMC is and to show the latest skin I've found.

For those unaware of XBMC, I suggest you jump over to their website and take a look around:

http://www.xbmc.org

No longer is XBMC just for the original XBox, you can now install it on Windows, OS X, and Linux -- so if you've got any of those connected to your TV you're set for the ultimate media center.

Aeon is the new skin I'm using and wow is it gorgeous!

http://www.aeonproject.com/

[image]

[image]

Anyone use XBMC or other media centers? I know this is a bit of a techy topic, but there's some nerds on here...

How does this work? Once you connect your computer to your TV, do you navigate through this on the TV or on the computer?

If you're hooking your computer up to your TV you would probably want to get an remote or use a USB controller. You navigate the PC and your TV is just a monitor.

If you're using an XBox you set folders on your PC to share and then access them across the network via the XBox.

OR

If you drop a larger harddrive in your XBox you can put everything on there.

I stream across my network.

I have Winamp Remote for my 360, and it wirelessly streams from my computer. Is this any different/better?

Now that the 360 can stream Xvid and Divx it's a very nice media center. However, XBMC can play almost any codec you throw at it, where was the 360 still has some issues. Also, the 360 isn't as nice. I mean, just look at those screen shots I posted above, pure visual amazement. That's just one skin too, there's several out there, including one that looks like the current 360 dashboard.

What I like most about XBMC is that it adds the movie posters and artwork for TV shows. It's not mandatory, but it makes it a lot prettier.

Also, you can play old Nintendo, SNES, Sega, or Arcade games via XBMC. Installing scripts for Apple Movie Trailers and Youtube gives you the ability to watch videos from those two sources. The weather option is nice.

There's a lot of things you can do w/ XBMC.

This is pretty sweet.

Is it pretty easy to setup and customize, or is there a lot of random shit you have to do before you can initially use it?

It's easy on a PC and Mac or if you already have a hacked XBox, but hacking an XBox can be troublesome if you're not that tech savvy.

This is pretty sweet.

Is it pretty easy to setup and customize, or is there a lot of random shit you have to do before you can initially use it?

It's easy on a PC and Mac or if you already have a hacked XBox, but hacking an XBox can be troublesome if you're not that tech savvy.

Ah, is this for the original Xbox only? Or can you use it on the 360?