Overrated bands?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the descendents are not overrated. end of conversation.

i tend to think so. ALL had like four good songs on it. same with Enjoy! no denying the early stuff was great. but not every song was a hit, though it seems like some people tend to think that everything they've done was brilliant. i can clearly hear the influence they've had on other bands, which i appreciate. i just think that people tend to blow them out of proportion. but even with that being said, i'd still pay $30 to see them play.

ok, they have good songs, you can hear influences on other bands..isn't that the criteria for a band that isn't overrated. you also have to think about the fact that they've been around since the 70's too and have been a major influence on most bands pop/punk bands from then till now. Also you made mention that the early stuff is great. which trandscends over time... and you'd be willing to pay to see them. i'm a little boggled on how you say they're overrated..

as far as "not every song was a hit".. name a band that has songs that are a hit every time. I love jawbreaker, but i don't think every song is the shit. No band can write great songs 100% of the time. some you will like more or less than others. that goes for albums too.

Minus The Bear.

i think they are original in a sense, because i can hear any Minus the Bear song and know it's them...and i haven't heard all the albums, i just can tell because of the music. i don't even need to hear lyrics. They have a certain sound and that's what i like.. it's original.. And i love the song titles.

as far as overrated or underrated, i'm a bit indifferent.

Minus The Bear.

i think they are original in a sense, because i can hear any Minus the Bear song and know it's them...and i haven't heard all the albums, i just can tell because of the music. i don't even need to hear lyrics. They have a certain sound and that's what i like.. it's original.. And i love the song titles.

We all have our own opinions.

We all have our own opinions.

damn, i can't stop staring at your avatar.. I keep thinking of PHIL FISH

i tend to think so. ALL had like four good songs on it. same with Enjoy! no denying the early stuff was great. but not every song was a hit, though it seems like some people tend to think that everything they've done was brilliant. i can clearly hear the influence they've had on other bands, which i appreciate. i just think that people tend to blow them out of proportion. but even with that being said, i'd still pay $30 to see them play.

ok, they have good songs, you can hear influences on other bands..isn't that the criteria for a band that isn't overrated. you also have to think about the fact that they've been around since the 70's too and have been a major influence on most bands pop/punk bands from then till now. Also you made mention that the early stuff is great. which trandscends over time... and you'd be willing to pay to see them. i'm a little boggled on how you say they're overrated..

as far as "not every song was a hit".. name a band that has songs that are a hit every time. I love jawbreaker, but i don't think every song is the shit. No band can write great songs 100% of the time. some you will like more or less than others. that goes for albums too.

valid points all around. i think what i was trying to get at was, while they were great, they also wrote some REALLY bad songs (same goes for The Clash and Jawbreaker, as you said). it's true that not every band can produce a hit all the time, but it seems like some people think everything they've ever done was the shit. but it wasn't. some of it was terrible. like i said, same goes for The Clash and Jawbreaker, two of my favorite bands ever. but it's all subjective.

i probably made it seem like i think the descendents are more overrated than i actually feel. i still think they're a bit overrated doesn't mean i don't like them and wouldn't pay to see them. i admitted radiohead was overrated earlier and later (on another thread) asked for someone to do a fundraiser for me to see them play this weekend.