Its Christmas time and I need a new turntable

I know you guys hate me with all my n00b threads, but I'm asking anyway. I have my dad's turntable from the 70's and it doesn't sound that great. I'm looking for something in the $300-$400 range. I went into a store and they told me that I should go with the Pro-Ject Debut III ($349) or the Pro-Ject Xpression II ($499), but I really have no idea how good those tables are, or what else I could be buying. What companies or tables should I be looking in to?

SORRY I'M A NOOB BUT VINYL IS SICK AND I WANT TO LEARN!

^^I haven't heard ANY negative criticism towards any Pro-Ject turntables thus far. Music Hall on the other hand...

Music Hall and Pro-ject both source their parts from the same factory in the Czech Republic. However, every single Rega is built in the main factory in the UK. You're right, Music Hall's have had somewhat of a sketchy history, and Pro-jects less so, but Regas don't really have any sort of problematic history.

If it were my money, I wouldn't buy anything but a Rega P1 in the $300-400 range, however, a Music Hall, Pro-Ject, or Rega is going to be way better than a Technics, or any other DJ or USB turntable.

I've been looking at both of these, and the only thing that I'm not too excited about is not having an automatic arm and having to lift it off the record when its done (the one I have now is automatic), and having to manually change speeds from 33 1/3 to 45. For my price range, is there a non-DJ table that I could get that has an automatic arm?

I've been looking at both of these, and the only thing that I'm not too excited about is not having an automatic arm and having to lift it off the record when its done (the one I have now is automatic), and having to manually change speeds from 33 1/3 to 45. For my price range, is there a non-DJ table that I could get that has an automatic arm?

No, the only automatic turntables like that are really cheap Best Buy plastic monstrosities that sound like shit.

The lack of automatic arm return and switching the belt for speed changes is not a cost cutting measure, but an effort to get as much sound quality as possible. All those moving parts add vibration which causes sound to suffer.

No, the only automatic turntables like that are really cheap Best Buy plastic monstrosities that sound like shit.

The lack of automatic arm return and switching the belt for speed changes is not a cost cutting measure, but an effort to get as much sound quality as possible. All those moving parts add vibration which causes sound to suffer.

Ahhh that makes sense. After hearing that, I wont feel as bad about having to get up and picking up the arm, haha. I guess next week I'll go to the store and check out the Rega and the Pro-Ject, since it seems like there is a mixed reaction here. I'm leaning a little more towards the Rega, but I'll have to go to the store and see what I like more.

Ahhh that makes sense. After hearing that, I wont feel as bad about having to get up and picking up the arm, haha. I guess next week I'll go to the store and check out the Rega and the Pro-Ject, since it seems like there is a mixed reaction here. I'm leaning a little more towards the Rega, but I'll have to go to the store and see what I like more.

my only complaint is the lid hinges kinda suck. but that's something i'll have to deal with i guess, doesn't effect the superior sound quality.

FWIW I prefer the Rega, they've been around much longer and they're built in the UK and not sourcing out their manufacturing like Pro-ject.

has anyone bought a turntable off of needle doctor? any other good sites to suggest?

Needledoctor is a respected company.

However, I don't recommend buying a turntable through mailorder. Cartridge alignment and tonearm setup are very precise and the slightest changes can have drastic effects. If you purchase a turntable via mailorder it can get bumped around and throw off the factory alignments. Also, by purchasing locally you can see and hear the turntable before you buy, you're supporting your local economy, and you get face to face customer service.

i live in Kamloops, British Columbia; you can't buy anything that is not an ion or sony anywhere. we have one audio store but the owner is such a bitch that i have vowed never to step into her store again. they only have 2 new tables and 2 used ones for sale at, and i stress, hugely inflated prices (i'm talking well over hundred dollar mark ups). last time i was in there, i was looking around in the "back room" with all the audio equipment as it is a cd store in front and she ran after me because i guess she thought i might steal some audio equipment (which i don't understand). anyway, i don't even know if they'll order anything in for me and i know that i'll be paying too much for it and i will never support them again. so i'm pretty much out of options and have to rely on mail order just like i do for records. i really need to move to vancouver or calgary. anyway, i'm not sure there are any other stores that would sell a decent turntable.

i live in Kamloops, British Columbia; you can't buy anything that is not an ion or sony anywhere. we have one audio store but the owner is such a bitch that i have vowed never to step into her store again. they only have 2 new tables and 2 used ones for sale at, and i stress, hugely inflated prices (i'm talking well over hundred dollar mark ups). last time i was in there, i was looking around in the "back room" with all the audio equipment as it is a cd store in front and she ran after me because i guess she thought i might steal some audio equipment (which i don't understand). anyway, i don't even know if they'll order anything in for me and i know that i'll be paying too much for it and i will never support them again. so i'm pretty much out of options and have to rely on mail order just like i do for records. i really need to move to vancouver or calgary. anyway, i'm not sure there are any other stores that would sell a decent turntable.

In that case, I understand your predicament and your only option is to go with mail order (unless you feel like road tripping to a big city, any metro area should have a decent hi-fi shop).

Needledoctor is respected and have been doing this a while, I'm sure they know how to pack a turntable so that it doesn't get banged up.

In that case, I understand your predicament and your only option is to go with mail order (unless you feel like road tripping to a big city, any metro area should have a decent hi-fi shop).

Needledoctor is respected and have been doing this a while, I'm sure they know how to pack a turntable so that it doesn't get banged up.

thanks for the info. i was just in calgary about a month ago but i took a greyhound so i didn't feel like taking a turntable back with me. and i really have no idea when i'd be leaving town again. anyway though, i just wanted to hear from a person that they were a reliable site, as i expected, so i'll probably go ahead and put in my order soon.

Actually, I changed my mind. They have the Pro-Ject Xpression II on sale for $499CDN. Does anybody have this table? I'm thinking about getting it since it's not THAT much more.

Honestly, if you're not ready to start putting decent chunks of change into a new pre-amp, amplifier, speakers, and cables, you're not going to get that much more for your money. You don't have to do it all at once, but if you're willing to start investing in some pretty good gear, then I'd just stick with a Rega P1 or something similarly priced.

Also, in the $500-ish price point, I'd rather have the Rega P2. That Xpression II is also discontinued, hence the cheaper price.