Looking for Pressing plants

if you're band is ready to put out a 7", you should just go ahead and press at least 300-500. It will more than likely be just a few dollars more total and you stand a greater chance of at least recouperating some of what you put into pressing the record initially. pressing 100-200 7"s isnt very feasible in a cost per record sense since most of the charges for pressing a record are upfront/setup/etc fees.

also, most plants wont do runs under 300 pieces.

Oh, and I did vinyldownloads.com and had 1000 jackets printed elsewhere since 1000 jackets was only $30 more than 500. So if there is a repress I will save a few hundred dollars on jackets alone.

After I went through Aardvark Record Mastering, Archer Record Pressing, Jackprints printing, bagsunlimited, and vinyldownloads.com, it came out to a little under $1200 for 500 records. I gave 50 to each band on the split for an advance of sorts, so each record came to about $3 each at cost. If I had not given any away, they would be about $2.40 each.

In short, you should print at least 500 I'm guessing, because like everyone is saying, it's not the records that cost a lot, it's the initial set up cost.

www.rainborecords.com

They are really friendly and have been more than willing to accomodate me and my very TIGHT deadline I have. I had trouble getting someone from United on the phone and their email representatives were unwilling to help me in ways that Rainbo had no problems doing. For example, I needed to order 25 test pressings so that I could have SOMETHING for a show next week. United would not try to work with me on my deadline and only gave me a generic "2-4 week turnaround for test pressings." Then when I asked if I could have the tests pressed with blank labels they told me "absolutely not, there are too many things that could go wrong with that."

I called up Rainbo and they were super friendly and more than willing to get me my tests back within two weeks (I pick them up next Friday). They were also willing to put blank labels on the test rather than generic "TEST PRESSING" labels and were even willing to use my finalized labels for the tests but I didn't quite have the artwork finalized yet so I went with blank labels.

Rainbo is more expensive though and it's hard to argue with United's prices when they are running their specials. I will use United in the future but in this case I had a tight deadline and Rainbo was super cool about making sure I got what I needed.

im not sure how i failed to mention rainbo. i may use them in the future but for the time being bill smith is my main man.

i went there yesterday to pick up my records and dennis was extremely helpful throughout the whole process. even gave me a tour of the place. the quality of the records are top notch and i cant help but comeback to them based on how well i was treated. we had an extremely fast turnaround on the records. within 4 days after receiving the plates we had tests and 10 days later we had the full pressing. if youre in southern california you should be using them (or anywhere else for that matter, we just get to save money on shipping/freight).