Static when playing records

try throwing it in the dryer, thats what gets my cling outa my clothes.

Seriously though, a friend cleans his records with this method. I take little responsibility for this. But if it works, then I am a hero. Take isopropyl alcohol and mix it with water (about 1:1 maybe more water to be safe) and wipe it down well with that. Then dry and 'rinse' it with water and dry again. Its important to use pure water, not tap water because it has chemicals in it. Try it with a lesser loved record first.. I dont want to ruin a good record over something I've never tried.

OK, so lately when I pull a record off, the static has been so bad that when I pick the record up, sometimes the slip mat comes with it. Does this affect my turntable and what can I do to get rid of it?

same thing happens with me, every time i play a record..

and i have this carbon fibre brush, which i use on my record before and after each use... still the slipmat attaches to the record when i pick the record up...

would be happy for any help/input

its the brush you are using, its dry. If you get a cloth and put a little anti-static record cleaner on the cloth, the problem should go away. Or just put a little water on it.

i'll try the moist cloth thing

so this carbon fibre brush is not good for anything then?

I have one and I don't like it at all. It never cleans the records that well and always creates static, but I do live in a very dry climate. It probably is better for brushing off dust before playing, not for a good cleaning of a dirty record.

But this stuff, it's amazing. I live in CO where the air is dry, and sometimes I get a record that sticks to the inner sleeve, and then pulls up the mat. I put this stuff on, and it never happens again. It was recommended to me from a guy at the local record store, and it's one of the best purchases I made. I think it's around $20.

[image]

http://www.gruvglide.com/HOME.html

But this stuff, it's amazing. I live in CO where the air is dry, and sometimes I get a record that sticks to the inner sleeve, and then pulls up the mat. I put this stuff on, and it never happens again. It was recommended to me from a guy at the local record store, and it's one of the best purchases I made. I think it's around $20.

[image]

thanks for the tip, i'll buy one and give it a try

says its good for 150 cleanings, i'm guessing i don't have to use this on the record every time i use it? i'd be empty within a month :)

Thanks for the tips guys. Whenever the record sticks to the inner sleeve I know it's not a good sign. I read somewhere that once you take a record out and clean it and play it, don't put it back into the same sleeve because the static is waiting and it'll just happen again, but I don't have hundreds of sleeves just sitting around.

Thanks for the tips guys. Whenever the record sticks to the inner sleeve I know it's not a good sign. I read somewhere that once you take a record out and clean it and play it, don't put it back into the same sleeve because the static is waiting and it'll just happen again, but I don't have hundreds of sleeves just sitting around.

hehe, looks like you and me got all the same problems man :)

My electrical knowledge is pretty low, but I think most turntables aren't earthed through the plug so they have a separate wire that comes out the back to earth them.

Some amps have a special bit on the back to connect the earth wire too but on mine I just screwed it to the casing. I'm not sure if you guys call it the ground wire or not, read this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth (Click on the disambiguation bit and go to the earth page referring to electricity)

It explains it better than I ever could

[image]

thanks for the tip, i'll buy one and give it a try

says its good for 150 cleanings, i'm guessing i don't have to use this on the record every time i use it? i'd be empty within a month :)

You only clean the record once, and it lasts pretty much forever. I've had the same bottle for almost a year, as every new record I get doesn't need this, just the static ones.