Playing guitar along with your record's tunes

Guest falloutcollapse
I play the A-side of Highly Refined Pirates every day. I'm still trying to figure out a few songs on the B-side.

Betcha can't do all the patented Dave Knudsen delayed-guitar wizardry!

Line 6 DL-4, my friend.

Betcha can't do all the patented Dave Knudsen delayed-guitar wizardry!

Line 6 DL-4, my friend.

Oh I know what he uses. He actually has two of those on his pedalboard, along with many other assorted goodies. I don't know how he keeps all that tapping/sampling organized in his brain. I'm convinced he's a droid.

Guest falloutcollapse

Line 6 DL-4, my friend.

Oh I know what he uses. He actually has two of those on his pedalboard, along with many other assorted goodies. I don't know how he keeps all that tapping/sampling organized in his brain. I'm convinced he's a droid.

Definitely a droid. I saw them in May, and I purposely stood right in front of him just to watch, and I was losing my mind when he was doing all the tapping to "The Fix," soloing, and drinking a beer in between. Total badass. I'm going to finish Pirates by this weekend and get a start on Oso pretty soon though.

Definitely a droid. I saw them in May, and I purposely stood right in front of him just to watch, and I was losing my mind when he was doing all the tapping to "The Fix," soloing, and drinking a beer in between. Total badass. I'm going to finish Pirates by this weekend and get a start on Oso pretty soon though.

I usually try not to learn guitar stuff that I'm amazed by, because then it takes that "magic" away when you listen to it. I like to preserve that if I can.

I'm kinda with Ronnie, just in that I don't bother learning a lot of my favorite songs. I mean, I still jam the Sabbath, but I don't sit around trying to figure out Weakerthans songs. "Pamphleteer" is one of the most beautiful chord progressions ever, but I feel like if I learned it, it would take something away for me.

Guest falloutcollapse

I know that there is no way in hell I can replicate Knudsen, and I'm really just learning Oso to get a feel for the DL4, since I got it very recently. I know that I kind of took the magic from my favorite CD, but it's so much fun to play along to it, so I'm at a rough spot, but overall, it's so much fun playing the Bear.

I'm kinda with Ronnie, just in that I don't bother learning a lot of my favorite songs. I mean, I still jam the Sabbath, but I don't sit around trying to figure out Weakerthans songs. "Pamphleteer" is one of the most beautiful chord progressions ever, but I feel like if I learned it, it would take something away for me.

Oh man, we are complete opposites. I feel like when I learn a song on guitar, it means more to me. When I see that band, I wanna get up on stage and play that song with the band. Much more personal for me.

Here's how I feel about it:

When I hear something mind-blowing, like a badass guitar riff (see: Botch, These Arms Are Snakes, Baroness), a lot of the time I think to myself, "Whoa, how in the hell did they come up with that?" Sometimes it's something really simple, and then if I happen to pick it out casually (not intending to "learn" it) it can end up being disappointing because there might not be much technicality to it; a lot of the time, the simplicity is what makes it so effective. So then I'm left feeling let down and that part might not have as much impact when I listen to it again. Does that make sense?

Here's how I feel about it:

When I hear something mind-blowing, like a badass guitar riff (see: Botch, These Arms Are Snakes, Baroness), a lot of the time I think to myself, "Whoa, how in the hell did they come up with that?" Sometimes it's something really simple, and then if I happen to pick it out casually (not intending to "learn" it) it can end up being disappointing because there might not be much technicality to it; a lot of the time, the simplicity is what makes it so effective. So then I'm left feeling let down and that part might not have as much impact when I listen to it again. Does that make sense?

That makes total sense. I see what your're saying, we just have differing views. No big deal.

my faves for guitar are "left and leaving" and bad astronaut's "acrophobe." along with the early alkaline trio. i remember that being some of the stuff i first taught myself how to play.

also, "burn one down" by ben harper because it was the first song i ever learned.

Guest falloutcollapse
You should start trying to write your own stuff. The earlier the better.

Completely on it. On the soccer off-season, I play guitar 3-4 hours a day. I'm actually practicing my alternate picking right now as I type this with one hand.

I try and learn the drum parts to all of my favorite records, so on the off-chance that the band's drummer gets sick/breaks a limb/etc. and can't go on whenever I see them live, I could jump in and save the day.

im actually learning "strictly rude" on this bad boy so if dave ever cant do it I can jump in

[image]

he would probably have to still be able to do vocals though....so maybe if he blew out his melodica chords...?

fuck i didnt think this through!!! the plan has failed!!!

Guest scriptedrain

Line 6 DL-4, my friend.

Same here. It makes absolutely no sense to me how he can keep all of that going.