router question

thomas

I know we have a few networking kids here so I'll ask. I bought a used WRT54G v.6 (boo) off ebay a few days ago. When I set it up the ssid name was khalil, so I reset the router and upgraded the firmware and changed the ssid to what I wanted and all the other security stuff I needed. The router worked great for about 2 days, now it disconnects me after like 10-15 mins of use and when i look at the router it seems to want to broadcast the ssid as khalil again. Is this router fucked up, or something weird since it should not even remember that network anymore.

If you're directly connected and getting crappy performance there's something wrong on the network end. As for the SSID retention that seems REALLY strange. Try resetting it one more time and see if maybe when updating the firmware something weird happened. All that said I just got a NETGEAR Router with 802.11n with the MIMO antennas and that shit rocks the house. Great reception all over my house with the router downstairs and me upstairs. Totally worth the $75 and with 802.11n if you do any LAN games you'll get amazing speed.

I think I am going to call TWC tomorrow and bitch again, because it ended up going out when I was hooked directly into the modem. I think I'll also end up getting a new router the next time I get paid.

The SSID retention only seems to come about when the internet is about to go out, which is odd.

@Sammy GoodCore: Any idea on which model netgear you have? The MIMO is enticing.

When you say you reset the router, what did you do? To reset it back to factory default settings, you're going to want to press the tiny red button on the back of the router and hold it in for 30 seconds or more. I do about a minute, just to be safe. Also, what firmware did you upgrade to? A linksys one or one of the custom linux firmwares(can a v6 handle those)?