san antonio/austin kids

i wish i lived in austin. i always hear how it's the new nashville. does explosions in the sky ever play there? that would be awesome

everyone plays here...

this weekend it's pathetically busy. Drive By Truckers, Band of Horses, Black Keys, G Love, Okkervil River, Crokked Fingers, etc etc.. it's mainly because ACL is going on and there are tons of aftershows.

but just about every indie band plays here from time to time.

i wish i lived in austin. i always hear how it's the new nashville. does explosions in the sky ever play there? that would be awesome

everyone plays here...

this weekend it's pathetically busy. Drive By Truckers, Band of Horses, Black Keys, G Love, Okkervil River, Crokked Fingers, etc etc.. it's mainly because ACL is going on and there are tons of aftershows.

but just about every indie band plays here from time to time.

mike did you get my PM?

I've been there twice, and yeah, you're guaranteed to miss a bunch of shit. There is a huge master schedule, but there's a lot of stuff going on on the side also. From what I've seen, a lot of acts usually play a free show somewhere in addition to their scheduled show. It's a total blast.

I've been there twice, and yeah, you're guaranteed to miss a bunch of shit. There is a huge master schedule, but there's a lot of stuff going on on the side also. From what I've seen, a lot of acts usually play a free show somewhere in addition to their scheduled show. It's a total blast.

thats the shit i would be scared of... i would hate to not know about stuff that i would be totally into, or else have to choose between 2 shows and then wait in line and not even get into the show youre going to see.

all that being said i really want to go next year but i feel like i would need a guide or something to make sure i get as many places as possible and as drunk as possible and still make it back to the hotel

I leave San Antonio and all these bands start playing shows there :(

I know man, it's nuts! Last sat. was the Queers, last night was The Loved Ones / Beat Union / Krum Bums (I went to see Seinfeld instead), and then tonight. Swingin' Utters are coming in november, as are the Misfits (lol). I can't remember the last time I went to see touring bands in San Antonio 2 weekends in a row.

All that being said, of course, I would much prefer to be in Brooklyn...

thats the shit i would be scared of... i would hate to not know about stuff that i would be totally into, or else have to choose between 2 shows and then wait in line and not even get into the show youre going to see.

all that being said i really want to go next year but i feel like i would need a guide or something to make sure i get as many places as possible and as drunk as possible and still make it back to the hotel

I'll be more than happy to give you info. since i use to work there i get all the inside info and there is a free show list that comes out a month or so before, plus i know a few peeps who throw the shows so i get a list from them too... it's crazy and yes, you will miss shows.. that's just how it goes, but you will also see a ton of shows.. most of them free. but getting drunk is not the way too go.. things start at 10am sometimes, and end at 4am, so drinking all day would probably tire you out pretty quickly.. it's always best to just pace yourself and go all out on saturday...

last year there was the FUCKED UP live show on the pedestrian street bridge, and it was so packed it was pathetic. i don't htink they're gonna be promoting it nearly as much as they did last year, so they only get a few hundred rather than 1000 people.. the bridge is only so big, but KEITH MORRIS sang with them both there and at the DONT MESS WITH TEXAS thing at Waterloo park, which is basically a 6 stage fest for one day of sxsw. and it's free.

but if you're gonna go, make up your mind now and rent a room downtown, because by janurary all the hotels are booked and if you're new, it's best to be downtown. Almost all the shows are in walking distance and the hotels sell out really quick, and then you'll be stuck 2 miles out,, and there's no parkting during the day....and it's worse at night. you wanna be where everything is..

last year i didnt have a vehicle and i live so far south, i had to leave by midnight every night in order to be able to get home. i missed chuck ragan too.. fuck...actually i missed him 3 times. but i did get to see HWM so..

usually for sxsw all i see are free shows. there's a website called showlistaustin, and they do their best to list all the free shows all throughout the week, regardless of genre. The past two years ive gone, ive seen all the bands i wanted to see for free. Just a matter of timing everything out during the week.

On sidenote, it would be sweet to have a hotel downtown during sxsw. I usually stay at my friends place around 23rd street, when all the action is on 6th =/

usually for sxsw all i see are free shows. there's a website called showlistaustin, and they do their best to list all the free shows all throughout the week, regardless of genre. The past two years ive gone, ive seen all the bands i wanted to see for free. Just a matter of timing everything out during the week.

On sidenote, it would be sweet to have a hotel downtown during sxsw. I usually stay at my friends place around 23rd street, when all the action is on 6th =/

so you basically stay near campus... that's a good area, because it's not too far of a walk if you decide to walk or take a cab (which is next to impossible at that time)

the showlist is awesome too...

so you basically stay near campus... that's a good area, because it's not too far of a walk if you decide to walk or take a cab (which is next to impossible at that time)

the showlist is awesome too...

yeah for the most part i walk it, but it gets pretty tiring walking early in the morning and walking back at 1 or 2 in the morning carrying a bunch of free shit 6 days in a row. Good exercise though.

The first year I went I bought a wristband off craigslist, and the only thing it got me into that I wouldn't have gotten into otherwise was a wristband-only Chuck Ragan / The Draft show. Last year I went up for this side thing called North By Northloop and saw free shows by Teenage Bottlerocket and a bunch of other awesome bands like the Hex Dispensers. Then I went to the huge free show at Waterloo Park and saw Municipal Waste, The Breeders, and part of NOFX. It was rad.