Questions for Girl Talk?

Lastly, ask him how on earth he is so popular when he has no talent whatsoever.

I think he has a lot of talent. Can you explain how he doesn't?

I find his style incredibly unoriginal, looping vocals, etc...over established beats..etc...To me, it comes off as the same formula over and over again and he does nothing to make it his own. I've only heard one album by him and didn't like it one bit. When I listen to DJ albums I'm more of an RJD2 kind of guy, or DJ Shadow.

I think he has a lot of talent. Can you explain how he doesn't?

I find his style incredibly unoriginal, looping vocals, etc...over established beats..etc...To me, it comes off as the same formula over and over again and he does nothing to make it his own. I've only heard one album by him and didn't like it one bit. When I listen to DJ albums I'm more of an RJD2 kind of guy, or DJ Shadow.

It's much more intricate than just "looping vocals over beats." If you heard his first two albums, then ok, yeah they're pretty mediocre, but Night Ripper and Feed The Animals are quite intriguing and a lot of fun. It certainly took a lot of talent to put those pieces of music together -- he does the math involved for things and he also did some custom beats to help the gaps.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':e1qvfg3b]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':e1qvfg3b]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

It's much more intricate than just "looping vocals over beats." If you heard his first two albums, then ok, yeah they're pretty mediocre, but Night Ripper and Feed The Animals are quite intriguing and a lot of fun. It certainly took a lot of talent to put those pieces of music together -- he does the math involved for things and he also did some custom beats to help the gaps.

Point taken. I just don't find it that interesting.

Point taken. I just don't find it that interesting.

No fault in that, that's all a matter of opinion.

I loved his answer to this question:

Pitchfork: What do you think about what you do in terms of ethics? Is that something you reflect on much?

GG: As far as sampling?

Pitchfork: Yeah. I understand how much transformation is part of it, but are there grey areas for you, where you kind of have to think things over?

GG: Doing the new album, I was talking to Philo, the guy who runs my label, Illegal Art, because I was using slightly bigger chunks of songs. I was like, "What would you do if I gave this to you? Would you think it qualified as fair use, or ethical?" We had a talk about that briefly, and he [suggested that I] work on the album, work on the last of it and not ever think about that. Just make what I want to make, and then once we were done, we'd go back and maybe take stuff out and analyze the situation, evaluate what was going on. That's still the way I work, where I try to think completely outside of sampling law while putting together the live sets for shows or albums. And then at that point, at the very end, I can look back at it.

I still feel like everything I'm doing is very similar to anyone using an influence and manipulating it, or anyone using a riff and adding a sound to it, presenting it as something new. Especially in 2008. It's like, hearing the actual music doesn't hold financial value, because anyone can get on YouTube and hear any song they please or download it for free. It's different from in the past, where you'd hear a song on the radio and you'd have to buy the album to hear it again. Doing the sampling, it is transformative, and I'm taking it and doing something new with it. I don't think I'm creating competition for the artists; it's just further spreading the message, and I think it goes along with Lil Wayne giving out 200 songs last year, and then coming out with a best-selling album this year. It's not about even hearing these songs as holding financial value; people are going to invest in it if they want to invest in Lil Wayne as an artist, they want to be in that fan club, they want to be a part of that.

Every hip-hop song that comes out, every pop song, they release the a cappellas and the instrumentals and there are a million remixes all over YouTube. People pitch up the songs, put them on YouTube as Alvin & the Chipmunks remixes. It's not hurting anyone; it's just further spreading the songs, and I think we're approaching an era where there's a consistent dialogue going on between artists and consumers. And I think that's going to be part of the solution to actually selling music. CDs are clearly dying out, and it's going to be moving to an all-digital format. Along with it, you raise this interactivity with the music. I feel that it's not stealing sales from anyone; it's turning people on to the music. So I think that's the new age, and every song that's coming out is going to have remixes, everyone's going to be interactive with the music. I think that's the new age, every song that's coming out is going to have remixes, everyone's going to be interactive with the music.