Just Got Accepted into Grad School

Congrats!

Yes, grad school does rule. I go full time and actually get my tuition covered along with a stipend since I'm technically a 'research/teaching assistant.' The pay isnt that great and its in our contract that we cant work elsewhere, but its basically undergrad for 5 more years. Which means 5 more years of minimal responsibility and maximum drinking.

I work around 60-80 hours a week, obviously no other job, tuition's covered and I get a stipend of about $23k a year (OMG, the internets knows how much money I make!). I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with my research, but I'm enough into it now that I want to come in on weekends. Overall, I'm pretty happy to be doing what I'm doing, but I've been wanting to be a full-time researcher for a long time now.

Also, programs across areas of study differ in whether or not you get any support. Most social sciences grad students have to teach to pay their tuition and have something to live on, so it takes them 8-10 years to graduate sometimes (don't take my word for it though, this is something I've heard, not experienced). I think that's pretty stupid, personally, and that I'm lucky I'm interested in one of the biological sciences and have support.

• 1 month later...

guess what duders! i just got accepted to a post-baccalaureate paralegal certification program last week. shit fucking rocks. cant wait to get back to learning shit. its a bummer ill be having to work full-time and take classes at night, but its a step closer to doing what i really want to do with my life. so ready to get this started.

Congrats dude! We are grad school brothers. What are you going for?

thanks, bud. ill be working towards a Paralegal Certificate. my goal is to use that as a springboard to get a decent paralegaling job and then into law school, eventually working for something like the ACLU or the Center for Constitutional Rights. keep it punk rock, ya know?

I'm thinking if I don't get a job by the end of the year or so, I'm going to wait tables here(or Austin), study for the LSAT and try my luck at entertainment law. Anyone else here doing law school/did it?

I'm heading into my last semester of law school. It fucking blows. The people are hard to stomach. Do yourself a favor and find something else to do.

my goal is to use that as a springboard to get a decent paralegaling job and then into law school, eventually working for something like the ACLU or the Center for Constitutional Rights. keep it punk rock, ya know?

I used to work for the Colorado chapter of the ACLU. I mostly dealt with intake of new cases, and most of those were complaints from prisoners. There were a ton of legitimate grievances, but a lot of the letters were incoherent ramblings.

It was one of the most interesting jobs I've had (even though I was an unpaid volunteer). It's super cool that you're thinking about going in that direction.

I'm thinking if I don't get a job by the end of the year or so, I'm going to wait tables here(or Austin), study for the LSAT and try my luck at entertainment law. Anyone else here doing law school/did it?

I'm heading into my last semester of law school. It fucking blows. The people are hard to stomach. Do yourself a favor and find something else to do.

what don't you like about it? besides the people...

what don't you like about it? besides the people...

backed, I'm just doing it so I can get into entertainment stuff easier. everyone needs a lawyer, and I will be that guy. I just want to still wear jeans and t-shirts mostly..

You may think you're going to be an entertainment lawyer but from what I've seen that seems like a big hill to climb. Granted I go to a small school but in my 3 years they've never offered anything remotely close to an entertainment law class. If they do offer this you still have to trudge through Torts, Tax, Business Associations, Property, Contract etc etc etc. Torts in particular is a vile area of law, nothing is more soul destroying than going to class everyday and hearing about personal injury law, it is so dirty.

I have enjoyed some parts, I've concentrated mostly on environmental classes, and civil liberties stuff, but overall the mentality isn't "hey let's go out and make positive changes in our world. It is "hey aren't we all the smartest people you know? I can't wait until I'm out of school and can finally afford that beamer." So if you want to go, more power to you but don't go in expecting anything other than awfulness. There is a reason people don't like lawyers, a lot of it is a huge money grab. Obviously this all a gross generalization, not everyone is terrible but it seems like 25% are downright god awful, 50% are barely tolerable and 25% seem to have their heads on straight.

Like I said I'm graduating in May and will almost certainly never practice. I intend to take the bar and then try to find work with the government in either the environmental or labor fields, or work for the ACLU. Hopefully. We'll see I guess.