Silk-screened

basically.

you take an image, and you separate the colors of the image.

you print out the separated colors onto films (remember overhead projectors? clear paper with stuff on it, basically like that)

you put the films on different screens, of which come in varying mesh counts, depending on how much ink you want pushed through, lower the mesh count more ink goes through, higher the mesh count, the less ink goes through.

the screens are coated with light-sensitive emulsion.

once the films are places on each respective emulsified screen you expose them, either in an exposing unit (large box with a light that shines x amount of brightness for x amount of time) this exposes the emulsion to light, and hardens it, where the image is on the film, is not exposed (as much) and can be washed out, which is the next step. washing out the image on the film.

you then put the films on whatever press you please.

there are different types of registration marks, most commonly where i work, crosshairs.

you center the registration marks of one screen to a palette making sure that the entire image fits on the palette so as not to create errors in the printing process.

you use whatever tightening apparatus is on your press (pneumatic clamps, manual knobs, etc)

you then line up the other screens to the first screen, til the job is lined up. run a test before you fuck up. and go at it.

plastisol ink has to be cured in an oven at a high temperature, this is the t-shirt ink. so after each shirt is done, it is sent through an oven and cured.

paper printings a little different, but someone else can explain the differences, i have a head ache.

also waiting for eric to tell me all the things that are wrong with my explanation.

plain and simple.

It's ink pushed through a screen (a stencil if you will) onto a medium. thats the simple simple simple simple simple version of it.

and who ever said "the shirt you are wearing is silk screened" is most likely correct. There a couple different ways to screen shirts using different inks and stuff, same with paper. But basically, its ah fuck i don't know. all i know is it's fun, and its fun to do.

Eric the red has a longer beard so he is wiser in the trade i'm sure.

plain and simple.

It's ink pushed through a screen (a stencil if you will) onto a medium. thats the simple simple simple simple simple version of it.

and who ever said "the shirt you are wearing is silk screened" is most likely correct. There a couple different ways to screen shirts using different inks and stuff, same with paper. But basically, its ah fuck i don't know. all i know is it's fun, and its fun to do.

Eric the red has a longer beard so he is wiser in the trade i'm sure.

patchier, beard though im sure.