DJ turntables- good or bad?

A few months back my old $100 table I bought from Best Buy had simply crapped out on me. So, without doing much research, I headed over to Guitar Center and picked up a cheap little direct drive DJ turntable (Stanton t.60X if it matters). I figured having a direct drive table would be good since I wouldn't have to replace a belt and since these things are built to withstand DJ abuse then this should surely a very long time with only recreational listening. However, the other day someone started telling me that DJ tables aren't good for listening and he kept going on and on but couldn't really give me any straight answers as to why they're so bad.

So can anyone shed any light on this? Can using a DJ turntable really create any problems or is my friend full of it?

There's no reason you can't use a DJ turntable. You'll pay more for the features that you don't need, but just follow your cartridge's specifications for setting the weight, anti-skate, etc. and you'll be fine. I'm not familiar with this model in particular but I don't doubt that it's better than your Best Buy model. I wouldn't use a DJ needle/cartridge, though.

I believe the arm, cartridge , and needle are heavier than a standard players so that it can play over scratches without skipping. the extra weight can then dig deeper into the groves and carve grooves of it's own. I'm sure someone else will have a little better, maybe more technical explanation than that.

i've also heard the heavier needle will wear your records faster.