F'in LAPD (Prop 8 Content)

Im against Prop 8 but everything I saw yesterday about the protests looked like the people protesting were acting really stupid. They protested infront of a mormon church and were putting their signs up on the church's fence so of course the people from the church came out to take them down and then fights broke out and the protesters were literally screaming right in peoples faces. I saw someone like jumping on a cop car and someone else trying to run out and do the same thing until the cop knocked him on his ass. I dunno, it looked like they were there trying to start shit. I totally agree with them but it didnt seem like they were going about it the right way.

Here's my friends recount of everything that happened to him regarding his arrest and processing.

It's pretty fucked up to read first hand about a clear violation of process and protocol on the police's behalf

http://www.buzznet.com/web/community/journals/entry/3336291/my-experience-reverse-prop-8/

Im against Prop 8 but everything I saw yesterday about the protests looked like the people protesting were acting really stupid. They protested infront of a mormon church and were putting their signs up on the church's fence so of course the people from the church came out to take them down and then fights broke out and the protesters were literally screaming right in peoples faces. I saw someone like jumping on a cop car and someone else trying to run out and do the same thing until the cop knocked him on his ass. I dunno, it looked like they were there trying to start shit. I totally agree with them but it didnt seem like they were going about it the right way.

Yeah I don't think the venue was probably the rigth place for the protest. and Of course during protests there will always be things that get a little out of hand but the idea that on video my friend is seen just walking away and then pushed to the ground and arrested is pretty fucked and harrowing. Then reading about his trip to, in and from jail just fucks shit up even more.

Yeah I don't think the venue was probably the rigth place for the protest. and Of course during protests there will always be things that get a little out of hand but the idea that on video my friend is seen just walking away and then pushed to the ground and arrested is pretty fucked and harrowing. Then reading about his trip to, in and from jail just fucks shit up even more.

The Mormon Church, an out-of-state entity was responsible for a lot of the money pumped in to the Yes on 8 campaign. And short of actually hurting people I would say almost any other form of protest is fine by me. People's rights are being taken aware in the worst manner and I think they have a right to get angry. I think they should get angry and I think they should lash out in a peaceful manner towards church entities who would take away their rights. Every single solitary person who voted for 8 is a bigot and/or a homophobe, period.

Every single solitary person who voted for 8 is a bigot and/or a homophobe, period.

on tuesday night i went to one of the polling places in irvine to hand out no on 8 flyers.....the night before we had to have a "training" on what to do. they said we werent going out there to try to change peoples votes but that a big problem that they were seeing is that people didnt really know what voting yes or no actually meant. i guess a lot of people thought that voting yes meant that "yes i want to allow gay marrage"

Every single solitary person who voted for 8 is a bigot and/or a homophobe, period.

on tuesday night i went to one of the polling places in irvine to hand out no on 8 flyers.....the night before we had to have a "training" on what to do. they said we werent going out there to try to change peoples votes but that a big problem that they were seeing is that people didnt really know what voting yes or no actually meant. i guess a lot of people thought that voting yes meant that "yes i want to allow gay marrage"

I think that's the case as well but oh man does that hurt my head. That's why I agree something like this can't be a ballot measure, its too important and there's way too much room for misinterpretation.

The Mormon Church, an out-of-state entity was responsible for a lot of the money pumped in to the Yes on 8 campaign. And short of actually hurting people I would say almost any other form of protest is fine by me. People's rights are being taken aware in the worst manner and I think they have a right to get angry. I think they should get angry and I think they should lash out in a peaceful manner towards church entities who would take away their rights. Every single solitary person who voted for 8 is a bigot and/or a homophobe, period.

ahh ok, that makes sense now.. thanks

I totally agree.

Yea I wasnt saying you're friend did anything wrong. Its awesome that he was out there for the cause. I did see a lot of protestors being really stupid tho. Im sure some of the LAPD and some Mormons and some Prop 8 supporters in general were all out there being complete assholes.

Guest baseball

Not to belittle what happened to your friend, but from the video it looks like he was pretty lucky. Don't take that the wrong way, I'm disgusted by this as well the multitude of other similar accounts that happen every year. This is not an isolated incident though you should understand. This is pretty par for the course when it comes to protests in this country in this day and age. Policing at protests has long since changed from the objective of public safety and is more about intimidation anymore.

Lots and lots of fucked up stuff happened at protests from this year's DNC and RNC. Even some journalists who were just covering the protests were abused and arrested.

Be glad your friend wasn't brutally beaten. My fiancee has permanent injuries from being beaten at a protest in a similar situation. This was several years ago in DC, she was only 15 years old at the time and is 5'2 tall. She was beaten so severely that she had to have her ankle entirely surgically reconstructed. She has a nasty scar and visible stitch marks to this day. Her ankle gets sore if she's on it for long periods and it's unlikely to ever improve from where it is now. Plus the fact that it's difficult for her to even be in the presence of a police officer and not feel somewhat terrified, understandably.

What are you gonna do though, the pigs are pigs :P.