When is it time to replace a needle?

Maybe a stupid question, but when is it time to replace the needle on your turntable? I've been noticing lately on records that are unplayed or barely played that there's a decent amount of surface noise as well as some crackling, though its not causing any skipping. I assume that this is related to the needle, but if not, does anyone have another suggestion as to what it might be. Thanks for any help in advance.

your records will start to sound a little distorted. i had some brand new records that i thought sounded horrible. when i told the guy at the store my problem, he said it was my needle. sure enough, changed it out and those records now sound awesome.

how long have you had that needle on that player?

There are so many different factors like the tracking force, how beat your records are, and last but not least the amount of hours spent listening.

I set my tracking force at the manufacturer's recommendation (I think about 1.15g), most of my records are pretty new, and I listen about an average of an hour every other week, I would say.

1 hour every other week?

Yeah, I just don't have time to sit down and listen to my collection as much as I used to day to day I throw on a lot of 7"s and usually listen to a full length when I make supper on Sunday but that's been about it lately.

That kind of makes me sad for some reason. I'm glad that even with my hectic schedule of late, I find time to listen to at least one record a day, whether it's just as I'm making dinner like you said or as I'm getting dressed in the morning or something.