33 1/3 vs 45 rpm

Guest scriptedrain
:-X

wrong. it's the other way around. the audio information is spread out across a larger area, and therefore more space is allotted for the information = higher quality.

Fixed haha

45RPM is, obviously, faster and the sound quality is less than 33RPM.

wrong. it's the other way around. the audio information is spread out across a larger area, and therefore more space is allotted for the information = higher quality.

That's true. That's why a lot of box sets put out by sound labs and such come with everything on double LPs at 45rpm as opposed to single LPs at 33 1/3.

Guest scriptedrain

I own two 2xLPs that play at 45rpm (possibly more, but 2 that I can recall): Minus the Bear - Planet of Ice and The Blood Brothers - Young Machetes.

format war

was it rca vs victor? or was victor always aligned with rca? i can't remember...

You know what's crazy, since I have been thinking of getting a tattoo of a Victrola, I can actually answer the shit out of this question.

the Radio Corporation of America bought the Victor Talking Machine company in 1929.

[image]

As for the format war, there were a couple of different formats prior to the war, the most common of which being the 78. In the late 40s, Columbia introduced the 33 1/3, and RCA Victor introduced the competing 45 shortly thereafter.

I think the speeds actually have something to do with the electrical currents and motors and some kind of magic voodoo bullshit. I don't know.