SKIPPING

after re-reading your previous post, justin, it sounds more like theyre talking about anti-skating, which affects the sideways pressure the needle places on either side of the groove. you will know you need to adjust this if when you place the needle down at the beginning of the record it shoots over to the recorded grooves too quickly, sometimes skipping the first few seconds, without actually locking into the initial "opening groove" for lack of a better term. you can also tell this needs adjustment if youre getting uneven sound out of the left and right speakers [much easier to detect using headphones].

however, i have no idea how that would help with skipping. as far as ive always understood, if the needle jumps or doesnt make good contact with the record you should try and adjust the downward pressure.

as a side note, ive always been told that the number you use for downward pressure [ie. 1.5] should match the number used for anti-skating.

this is about where my limited knowledge on the subject ends.

this shooting over the first groove DID happen b4 i adjusted the bias to 1.5! for all the answers, see Darrell the Man!! :):):):)

i too have no idea regarding the skipping, maybe it was just coincidence, but as soon as i had adjusted the bias, the skipping stopped :shrugs: