SKIPPING

Super pissed. I just played my Playing Favorites vinyl for the first time, and during my FAVORITE SONG which I was looking forward to the entire record, Indigenous, it skips in 2 different places, and just keeps repeating. And I have to pick up the needle and move it further in the song. Is this something like dust that can be fixed? Or is this more likely to be a pressing defect.

I would get a vinyl brush and try and clean it. If that doesn't work, look at the record under light and see if there is something that isn't moving when you brush it the record. That sounds more like a pressing defect than dust, because dust usually just skips or pops, but the record keeps playing past that point. bummer...

With my Fifteen - Hush LP, when I bought it, it was still shrinkwrapped, but when I opened it to play it skipped on 2 of the 3 songs

It's a pressing thing with that LP - I've had about 5 copies and they've all been the same. Pisser coz it's such a great LP.

oh really, i was not aware of that, i wonder if the blue copies have the same defect

heres something a little different to look at. i had a few records that used to skip, for no reason. most horribly, my copy of NIN - Fragile used to skip on the 1st side at a couple of points. for absolutely no reason. i had a look on the intranetwebworldwidespiderwebthingy and found some articles relating to an incorrect bias setting on the turntable. i adjusted my bias from the factory recommended setting of '1' to '1.5' and the skips suddenly disappeared. i dont really know what long term effect (if any) results from adjusting the bias, but it seems to have done the trick. i now do not have 1 single piece of vinyl that skips.

heres something a little different to look at. i had a few records that used to skip, for no reason. most horribly, my copy of NIN - Fragile used to skip on the 1st side at a couple of points. for absolutely no reason. i had a look on the intranetwebworldwidespiderwebthingy and found some articles relating to an incorrect bias setting on the turntable. i adjusted my bias from the factory recommended setting of '1' to '1.5' and the skips suddenly disappeared. i dont really know what long term effect (if any) results from adjusting the bias, but it seems to have done the trick. i now do not have 1 single piece of vinyl that skips.

im a n00b and have no idea what the bias is

The B-Side of my Propagandhi - How to clean everything (orange clear, from those latest represses fat wreck is doing) sounds horribly warped during the first two songs and there's this warble that, to my ear, sounds like a long drawn out sine wave of bass.

So buck up champ, everyone gets a lemon from time to time.

Yea... for us uneducated chaps.. what's a bias?

Yea... for us uneducated chaps.. what's a bias?

some turntables have a little button/knob near the weight on the tonearm, labelled (something similar to) 0,1,2 where each number represents a different bias setting. you'll be able to move the little knob between and to each number.

to be honest, i dont really know what the bias does. all i know is that when i adjusted it to a different bias, the skipping on my records stopped....

i purchased a test LP manufactured by HiFi News which plays a whole bunch of different tones and stuff to make sure your turntable is set up correct. it has a whole section on the bias. the record plays an even tone over 3 different decibel ranges. this is what it says:

"You should hear an even signal from both channels simultanteously. if there is any hint of instability (distorted or buzzing sound) on one channel or the other then adjust the bias accordingly."

it doesnt explain exactly what the bias does, but i guess upon deduction, it can alter how your needle tracks the groove.

please correct me if i'm way off

after re-reading your previous post, justin, it sounds more like theyre talking about anti-skating, which affects the sideways pressure the needle places on either side of the groove. you will know you need to adjust this if when you place the needle down at the beginning of the record it shoots over to the recorded grooves too quickly, sometimes skipping the first few seconds, without actually locking into the initial "opening groove" for lack of a better term. you can also tell this needs adjustment if youre getting uneven sound out of the left and right speakers [much easier to detect using headphones].

however, i have no idea how that would help with skipping. as far as ive always understood, if the needle jumps or doesnt make good contact with the record you should try and adjust the downward pressure.

as a side note, ive always been told that the number you use for downward pressure [ie. 1.5] should match the number used for anti-skating.

this is about where my limited knowledge on the subject ends.