My band just cut a new record

Some of you may know that I am in a band called To Russia. We just finished our new five-song and it's up on our myspace.

The songs were entirely self-recorded/mixed and we tried as much as we could to keep the sound as close to "live" as possible. We tracked live without a click track and didn't "brickwall" master the songs, allowing for more dynamic changes in the mix. If any of this matters to you, then I appreciate your love of genuine music. If not, then just enjoy some good jams.

Let me know what you think :)

So far it's going to be a free digital release. We're in talks with a label to get it pro-recorded and pressed to CD and possibly vinyl (crossed fingers). If that ends up being the case, these will just be the pre-production demos. We're just so excited with how it turned out doing it for free that we wanted to share.

As for "brickwall" limiting, read this

Thanks a lot for all the feedback, guys! You can download the record in mp3 here for free.

altertthemute, I'll get you FLAC as soon as I can get my hands on the master.

cosmonaut, last time I posted about my band someone told me I sound like Jason Gleason from Further Seems Forever's "How to Start a Fire." One of my guitarists tells me that my lyric-delivery sounds a lot like Cedric Bixler-Zavala and Jim Ward from At the Drive-In.

So we're seriously hoping to get someone to help us put this out in physical form. CD, LP, cassette, whatever. We just have no money to do anything other than give it away digitally for the moment. Please give these tunes to anyone you think would be interested in this release.

I've heard some "professionally" produced things sound terrible, and this is self-mixed and sounds great.

Thanks a load man! We were all really pleasantly surprised. We as a band have amassed enough microphones and equipment that we did it all ourselves for free in our practice space. Live recording. Three laptops recording simultaneously with Audacity (an open-source recording program). It was a pretty crazy experiment that turned out incredibly well, in my opinion.

I think this music lends itself to not be compressed to hell and back...not really hook laden or poppy enough, good call on the mastering...dig the live feel as well...not every band can record live...I'd suggest everyband out there try and record live and see how drastically different your record turns out...some bands sound like crumbly shit-cakes recorded live...but this sounds pretty tight and solid...no lose stools here

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CDR2X7JS

FLAC for alertthemute and anyone else who wanted this lossless.

Two quick things:

1) Don't make CDs, totally fucking pointless format to be honest

2) Don't even bother worrying about re-mastering unless you want to re-master with vinyl in mind. It'll just cost more and it sounds like everyone likes the mix.

i dont think cd's are completly pointless i would still press some try & donate them to record stores, somthing put a reccomended if you like these bands this above it or somthing...

and dude i dig the fuckin tunes man if you guys put out any vinyl i will be buying some

Two quick things:

1) Don't make CDs, totally fucking pointless format to be honest

2) Don't even bother worrying about re-mastering unless you want to re-master with vinyl in mind. It'll just cost more and it sounds like everyone likes the mix.

i dont think cd's are completly pointless i would still press some try & donate them to record stores, somthing put a reccomended if you like these bands this above it or somthing...

and dude i dig the fuckin tunes man if you guys put out any vinyl i will be buying some

Thanks guys. For all the good feelings. It means a lot to me, as you are all my musical peers and your opinion really matters to me.

I'm still not exactly sure what we're doing with this. Homie down at the label we're shopping is taking a minute to get back to us.

I know that to me and a lot on the board, CDs are pointless and a waste of money, but every time we play shows kids are always hounding me for CDs. Also, no one in my band except me collects wax, so it'll be a push to convince them to only press this on vinyl.

On the other hand, I think if we had a record with really good art with a download code in it, the kids that want CDs would buy it and hopefully start getting in to vinyl. We'll see. Thanks for the advice, sgoodcore.