Info on Beatles vinyl

So my uncle unloading about 4 crates of records from the 60's and 70's that include some Sabbath, Bob Dylan, Jefferson Airplane, Hendrix, Jethro Tull, etc. The vinyl itself is in pretty good condition, however the jackets have taken a slight beating due to old age and improper care. In the midst of all those records also came some Beatles which include The White Album, Abbey Road, Let It Be, Revolver and another one titled Meet the Beatles.

The question is, does anyone know what these would fetch? My uncle swears they're originals, but is there a way to verify this? Any information would help. Thanks everyone

Guest kingbuzzo

I've got a bunch of Beatles stuff and it just doesn't seem to be worth much because there's so much of it. I have Meet The Beatles, which is their second US album. I sold the doubles I got after my dad passed away and they included the White Album, Abbey Road, and Sgt. Pepper's and I didn't get much really. Here's a handy site to check: http://www.beatlescollecting.co.uk/ .

Now, if you can find some stupid college kid who thinks vinyl is "retro" and therefore cool, you could probably get them to pay a good amount for them. That's what I did with my Hendrix albums.

It really depends on the condition of them, if they look like new collectors could throw lots of money at them!, but if they're beat up a bit then they'll just be like the millions of other copies that were sold and the value affected accordingly. Although 1st presses will always command higher prices, which I think means checking matrix numbers and label colours?!!

that's the thing. there are so many, however, there are very few that are actually in good condition. the ones that are NM-M will fetch top dollar.

sort of related story: i was at a little used book store yesterday just trying to kill some time here at my parent's house and noticed a few crates of LPs. flipping through, i found quite a few records i wanted, but unfortunately, the owner completely overpriced everything. Beatles LPs had $100 price tags (not even in good condition), a copy of The Stooges- Raw Power with a $40 sticker and a copy of Bitches Brew that he was asking $50 for. i took a few records up to the counter and said "hey, i'll give you $30 for all of these."

apparently his prices were firm, as he politely said he couldnt go any lower, so i left them there and went on my way. normally i tend to bitch and complain about Ebay when it comes to vinyl, but this is one instance when Ebay is definitely the way to go. you can get almost any older record at a really decent price. i've gotten so many good deals.

I like when older people at flea markets try to sell these and elvis records off for 100 bucks and up. God bless their soul.

I laugh and shake my head. It was that way at the last record convention I went to. There was a guy selling "original" (repress from early 90's) Metallica albums for $30(and they were maybe good condition). I offered $15 a piece and he was firm on his price. I then told him I could get the new represses that sound better for his price. He got all pissy and told me I should get them instead.I told him I was going to if he was gonna be a cock about the shit. I walked around the place and every metalhead I saw I warned them about that dick.

Something needs to be done about these people that think they have something that's worth $100 and it's maybe worth $5.

The mono albums usually go for more money than the stereo versions. They were mixed/mastered differently than the stereo versions and are more rare.

Here's a web page explaining all the mono stuff: http://www.deadwaxcafe.com/vzone/beatles.asp

Of course any "special" Beatles records, like fan club issues are more rare. I saw an unopened Help! album on ebay the other day and the dude wanted $1300.00! Shameless blog plug: http://vinylcast.net/?p=540

I have one of those record price estimator books, and there's like 5 pages on Beatles albums. They get into the different colors of the labels, and serial numbers, etc... but the general rule is mono or some sort of rare collectible like a fan club issue will fetch more dollars.