Four Minute Mile

eddieruckus

i dont know about you but most people that go into hot topic could give a fuck less about the get up kids, and alot of them, might have heard the name at most. but they do draw alot more traffic from people who buy just vinyl so who knows.... when is the last time you saw a guk shirt at any hot topic regaurdless of if/and how long they've been broke up because hot topic loves to exploit the fuck out of broken up bands that are no longer together

oh i know what youre saying. i mean, i cant stand to look at the merchandise on their walls, since it all seems to be portraits of kurt cobain or vote for pedro crap or whatever else. but still, lots of kids cant get to "real" record stores, and the mall ends up being their only option. so while the whole aesthetic of a shop like HT might be unappealling to most people, at least credit is due to them making some of this shit available to kids who would otherwise only be able to listen to disturbed or trapt or whatever else is fed on the radio. there are also plenty of other shoppers, like daniel, who are able to swallow their pride and walk into a store like HT to get a record that theyre looking for.

still, i feel embarrassed as hell every time im walking in the mall with an ugly black hot topic bag.

I'm not a fan of Hot Topic. But the way I look at it is that it's better than nothing. In some areas that is the closest a kid will have to a record store. At least when it comes to vinyl.

I have set foot in HT a few times to pick some "exclusive" vinyl releases. Most of the time the people working there are aware of the format and we make conversation about it.

the last time I was in a Hot Topic, which was maybe 2 months ago.. they had a Get Up Kids shirt on the wall (the godfather rip off), and a decent selection of vinyl covering a wide range of music. The employees I dealt with seemed very tolerable.

They're a huge chain retail store, shouldn't be a shock that they generally stay with the new 'trends' and with bands that are 'hot' at the time. Gotta make money to stay in business.