D.I.Y. Expedit (pics!)

danalive

So I've had this finished for a little while now, but haven't gotten around to posting pics. I'm too lazy to find the old thread so I'm starting a new one. Anyway...this thing rules. You should build your own. There are a couple extra pieces that screw in the sides and could hold speakers or dvds or whatever, but I haven't put a finish on them yet.

[image]

[image]

and one more pug pic for good measure.

[image]

this looks really nice! I was about to build one the same size (3x3) until I found one on craigslist for $40!

not to be picky, but if someone is going to build one, it is more supportive if the cross pieces are uncut, and you use short "dividers" (vertical pieces) - this way the weight is not on the joints so much, and creates a supportive "T", if that makes sense.

so basically, if this was rotated 90 degrees.

looks awesome! i'm not all to smart in the carpentry world...so for the shelves did you put a rest to hold under each one, or did you fasten each one in place? i'm moving soon and will have some room. i'd love to attempt to put something together.

all the pieces that join in the middle are just solid pieces with slits cut out of them so they slide together. they don't have any glue or nails or anything attaching them. then the outside pieces are screwed into the middle ones.

looks awesome! i'm not all to smart in the carpentry world...so for the shelves did you put a rest to hold under each one, or did you fasten each one in place? i'm moving soon and will have some room. i'd love to attempt to put something together.

all the pieces that join in the middle are just solid pieces with slits cut out of them so they slide together. they don't have any glue or nails or anything attaching them. then the outside pieces are screwed into the middle ones.

gotcha...thanks man. thats awesome

nicely done

my only problem with the expedit is that I don't have room for such a big damn thing, so I went the Traby from Ikea, 2 of the 2x2 square bookshelves

[image]

I use these too, since they have legs to elevate them off the floor. I keep my records in the basement and I'm afraid of a freak flood down there destroying my collection.