Uncensored Colors: A Portugal. The Man Documentary

So I'm busy editing right now and this is going to be my first HUGE project.

I've never made anything longer than 10 minutes.

So I was wondering what you guys think is interesting or whatever to have in a documentary about a band?!

I have 12 hours of footage, so yeah.. a shitload to choose from.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends, a band like PTM it'd be awesome to know as much as possible about their writing techniques, but also their relationship with bands like Kay Kay, and how they are influenced by such. Other bands it's mostly just fun to see them aim firewords at each other (I'm looking at The Chariot with that one)

So I was wondering what you guys think is interesting or whatever to have in a documentary about a band?!

12 hours isn't very much footage at all.

I usually like lots of live footage--complete songs--maybe intercut with interviews.

I usually like lots of live footage--complete songs--maybe intercut with interviews.

I have three complete live shows, with backstage footage, interview footage, sound check footage. I spent three days with them, I think it's enough for a nice little documentary.

I have three complete live shows, with backstage footage, interview footage, sound check footage. I spent three days with them, I think it's enough for a nice little documentary.

Was it a multi-cam shoot?

I think the Death Cab For Cutie DVD is an excellent example of a great band documentary. Lots of live footage, interviews, sound checks and the like. Personally I don't like the live footage to be full songs. I get a little ADD. It's always rad though, if it's going to be a DVD, to include full live concerts in the bonus features.

how is the audio from the live shows? nothing worse than having really great video and the audio to go along with it sucking. i'd almost rather not watch it if the bass if flaring up the whole time, and most of the time i actually will turn it off after about 45 seconds if it's like that.

how is the audio from the live shows? nothing worse than having really great video and the audio to go along with it sucking. i'd almost rather not watch it if the bass if flaring up the whole time, and most of the time i actually will turn it off after about 45 seconds if it's like that.

It differs. Most of the stuff is really good/perfect, but sometimes the bass is flaring up yeah.. that's cuz school fucked me, they gave me a shitty camera one time.

that's alright.... for those parts you can overlay the interviews and use that audio while you use the video from the concerts. then you get to use the footage without it going to waste (if it's good) and you make your documentary look even more professionally done.

http://vimeo.com/2242557

there's one show that sounds better and one that's shittier than this show.

yeah exactly or just use the real tracks.

yeah exactly or just used the real tracks.

that can be tricky, though, sometimes. if the audio and the video don't match up EXACTLY it ends up working against you. so unless they play the song live literally the exact same way that it's recorded in studio, it looks stupid. trust me i've made that mistake before and it took me hours to fix everything that i had after it all timed out 'perfectly'.

i'm not sure why i'm not into them so much. maybe i'm just telling myself i'm not because i don't have the cash to buy all their shit. i think they're one of those bands that i have to be 'in the mood' to listen to, and normally i just don't think of them when i'm actually in that kind of mood. from what i've heard they're not bad by any stretch, just not my cup of tea.

also, a word for your future live-show shoots:

unless you're doing a multi-cam shoot, be VERY easy on the zoom feature. you can zoom in and out, that's fine, but do it really slow. otherwise it makes it look very amatuerish. if you're doing a multi-cam shoot, then go crazy with it, and you can splice back and forth between the two (or however many) cameras when one is mid-zoom. just be careful with it. other than that, you really seem like you know what you're doing. all that comes with practice, though. you're definitely on the right track.

i'm not sure why i'm not into them so much. maybe i'm just telling myself i'm not because i don't have the cash to buy all their shit. i think they're one of those bands that i have to be 'in the mood' to listen to, and normally i just don't think of them when i'm actually in that kind of mood. from what i've heard they're not bad by any stretch, just not my cup of tea.

have you ever seen them live? i've loved p.tm for 3 years now and i've seen them live three times this year. it's just, you need to see them. i love them even more after seeing them live. it's a totally different experience.

and they are a band that changes with every record. the first record is more electronics, beats and the second is like you're back to the 50s with muddy waters, it's very groovy and the latest record you could listen to all the time, it's timeless.

nah, i actually haven't had the time/money to see them live yet. i go to school in carbondale, il, which is 6 hours from chicago, which is really the closest city to good concerts from carbondale. st. louis is only 2 hours away, but rarely has anything as good as chicago. it's pretty lame. i'll check them out live eventually, i think.