My top songs of 2008, what are yours?

Guest admin1338560633

Bon Iver - re: Stacks

Chris Wollard & the Ship Thieves - Reason In My Rhyme

Suis La Lune - With Wings of Feathers and Glue

Quest For Fire - Strange Waves

Mogwai - Stupid Prick Gets Chased By the Police and Loses His Slut Girlfriend

Wow, how many times can Gaslight Anthem be named...?(!)

I don't even think I bought five NEW releases this year. In my opinion, music this year was piss poor, and the direction most shit is moving is even worse. Mostly pretentious "indie" nonsense and crappy pop (punk?).

Jay Reatard's "Ugly Death" was pretty good, though. And so was his cover of Gamma Ray. Nothing else really comes to mind.

I forgot, the Vivian Girls "Where Do You Run To" is pretty awesome.

Here's to better luck next year... Morrissey, Franz Ferdinand, Depeche Mode, Jarvis Cocker, to name a few.

now, proving i do not at all know better, are mine:

Austin Lucas – Go West // I’m beginning to think it’s no coincidence that there are only a few letters different between “Austin” and “astounding.” Every time this guy puts out a record there are at least a few songs that completely leave me aghast (in a good way). The twang in his voice might be off-putting to some, but the sheer amazement of what this guy can do in a single take with just a guitar and his vocal chords leaves me breathless.

Basia Bulat – I Was A Daughter // A severely underrated Canadian singer/songwriter who had to find a European label to sign her. This one is good for the handclaps alone, not to mention the incredible rush that comes after the bridge.

Final Fantasy – the Butcher // I wish both of the EP’s Owen Pallett put out this year were as good as this song is. More instruments, his best vocals to date, and probably his best melody make for the most gripping song he’s ever constructed. I’m hoping for more like this on his up-coming full-length.

Fucked Up – Son The Father // Before embarking on a musical journey for the ages, they open their latest greatest album with its most blistering song. Setting the lyrical agenda for an album that raises more questions about the origins of human existence than i've ever thought of, it also establishes the musical game plan for the record by opening with a flute and featuring thrilling guest vocals.

The Gaslight Anthem – Great Expectations // Sure they have a total Springsteen boner, but their new songs are mature pop rock soaked in a broth of Drugstore Cowboy attitude, vocal reverb, Marlboros, and regret. As much as I like this song, I also like what it represents: the beginning of the other 11.

LaGrecia – According To My Notes // There’s at least five songs on the LaGrecia album that could qualify for this list, but this is the one I decided to go with. It’s more in line with Shevchuk’s other works, all speedy guitars and gruff vocals. But it also adds a daunting amount of melody and the best singing of his entire career.

The Lucksmiths – California In Popular Song // I love it when a song turns your expectations on their head. When not writing songs about lost mittens or getting drunk, the Lucksmiths are constructing one of the most musically bright but lyrically depressing songs I’ve heard in years. In a nutshell: everything sucks and pop songs won’t make it better.

The Measure [sA] – Drunk By Noon // A band that showed an awful lot of promise at the beginning of their career has tightened up their playing and the hooks are coming effortlessly. Besides, everybody likes songs about getting drunk, right?

The Mountain Goats – Marduk T-Shirt Men’s Room Incident // While I absolutely adore the fantastic metaphor of Heretic Pride’s “Autoclave,” this is the most triumphant. The guitar, recorded so sparsely its barely there, conveys the emptiness of the act and emotions of the song’s characters

O Pioneers!!! – Summers In Necro Norway With Spider Ryan // Our board's house band? Maybe. When Eric shouts, “Don’t be afraid to say this is who I’m gonna be,” over some of the biggest, gnarliest-sounding guitar I’ve ever heard I get chills down my spine. I seriously love this band.

Papermoons – Follow The Sun // One of my favourite discoveries of the last two years (thanks Aaron)! So beautiful and delicate it’s almost hard to comprehendm, and it also kicks off one of the most rewarding listens of the year.

Why? – These Few Presidents + the Hollows // Pitchfork may have wet themselves over “Fatalist Palmistry,” but these two tracks make up one of the best three song-suites this year. One reflects the intensely dark moments Yoni Wolf occasionally falls into while the other provides a moment of ambiguity. It’s open to interpretation whether the beautiful, lilting keys that back the track and the line, “Yours is a funeral I’d fly to from anywhere,” are a touching tribute to a friend or lover or whether they’re a mean-spirited dig at someone Wolf just doesn’t like that much. Either way, this is one of the greatest twisted-pop records in years.

This is the short list -- my full 57 favourite songs are listed on www.soundsalvationarmy.com.

Not in any order.

The Gaslight Anthem - The 59 Sound

Broadway Calls - Back To Oregon (Didnt hear it until Adeline rereleased in 08)

Bayside - What & What Not

Paint It Black - The Beekeeper

The Loved Ones - Dear Laura

Verse - Story Of A Free Man - Chapter 2: The Cold Return

Dead To Me - Arrythmic Palpitations

The Copyrights - Charlie Birger Time

Death Cab For Cutie - Grapevine Fires

Energy - Hail The Size Of Grapes

Have Heart - Pave Paradise

Tom Gabel - Conceptual Paths

Killing The Dream - Thirteen Steps

Shai Hulud - Misanthropy Pure