My top songs of 2008, what are yours?

Guest admin1338560633

The other night, we had some friends over and as we discussed many things, the topic of Rolling Stone's top 100 singles came up. We agreed that the list was fucking lame. Sure there were some good selections, but a bulk of the list just goes to show the great disparity between mainstream listeners and me and my peers. Figuring that most of you would have your own differing opinions about your top songs of the year, I suggest you post in our comments or on the message board, your top 5 songs of the year. Here are mine:

1. Bon Iver “Skinny Love”

2. Austin Lucas “Go West”

3. Drag the River “Having a Party” (sam cooke cover)

4. Dillinger Four “Gainesville”

5. The Gaslight Anthem “59 sound”

1. Bon Iver “Skinny Love”

The Lucero Board makes a mixtape nearly every month and the one for November not only included a few Suburban Home acts, but it included this song. I had been told to check out Bon Iver more than a few times, but this song was the standout on the mix. I could not stop listening to it. The song reminded me of what TV on the Radio might sound like if they were a solo act. I am sure that I have listened to it over 100 times since hearing it in November.

2. Austin Lucas “Go West”

When we first started talking to Austin about the possibility of doing an album, he sent over some demos he had recorded. The songs were just him, his guitar, and singing, but the songs were out of this world. 6 of the songs made it onto the "At War With Freak Folk" 10" and those songs sound even better on vinyl. "Go West" was the song that stood out most. The song tells a sad story of heartbreak, but you wouldn't know it from the big chorus of "Go West Emily". We have put this demo version on our "Delicious Vinyl" LP and on the Tim Barry samplers, but Austin has just completed recording his first album for us, "Somebody Loves You" and the updated recording of this song with his family band will knock you on your socks. As great as the studio recording is, I will always cherish this demo recording.

3. Drag the River “Having a Party” (sam cooke cover)

Drag the River are easily my favorite band on the planet and there are so many songs of theirs that could easily make a tops list, but for some reason, this cover of Sam Cooke was the song I listened to most. I know that bands don't like hearing that your favorite song of theirs is a cover, but they will agree that there was something magical with this recording. Jon and Chad recorded this really stripped down in Jon's garage and took it to the Blasting Room to do a few touch ups. You will hear a guy in the background screaming "yeah" throughout the song and that was a Drag the River fan from their "Live at the Green Door" recording that was cut and paste throughout the song. Somehow it works. I love that Jon and Chad trade verses and always being a fan of old soul, this cover just does it for me. Expect it on Drag's next album and their Under the Influence 7".

4. Dillinger Four “Gainesville”

The long wait for the latest Dillinger Four album felt like an eternity and I was nervous at how good it would be. "Midwestern Songs", "Versus God", and the collection album, "This Shit is Genius" are 3 of my favorite albums and although I liked Situationist Comedy, it was my least favorite. Luckily these guys recorded an album that hits the mark and "Gainesville" was the rock anthem of 2008. The song that gives a shout out to Gainvesille Fest was our soundtrack at our first ever trip to the Fest. The hook "Feels like Summer in Octoooooooober just grabs you.

5. The Gaslight Anthem “59 sound”

Side One Dummy really lucked out when they signed these rising stars from New Jersey. The band had only released one album and a 4 song ep before recording this breakout album. Taking inspiration from 50's soul, the band recorded their most polished album. Throughout the record you can hear elements of Bruce Springsteen, The Cure, and Sam Cooke, but this first single from the album really cooks. The band shot a video for the title track and every week the band reached a new milestone. I remember thinking how big of a deal it was when the video and the band was featured on Steven's untitled rock show. You just knew that it was going to be a big year for Gaslight.

Hope you enjoy my tops list. I might try to get ralph to set up a stream of these songs so you to can hear them all, but let us know what songs you listened to most in 2008. I am planning on emailing a bunch of friends for their tops of 2008 so expect a page set up really soon.

Wow. Top 5 songs of the year...hmmm.

Off With Their Heads - Go On Git

Nobunny - Chuck Berry Holiday (didn't hear this until the 2008 repress came out, so it totally counts)

Dopamines - Beer Telescope

Future of the Left - adeadenemyalwayssmellsgood (came out at the end of 2007, but didn't hear it until 2008, so this one counts too).

Steinways - Oh My Fucking Gosh

Awesome idea Virgil, my list is a little spread out.

"Batman Is A Dead Man" - International Superheroes Of Hardcore

"Festivus Yes! Bagels No!" - No Harm Done

"Say I Won't (Recognize)" - The Gaslight Anthem

"Wake The Sun" - The Matches

"Amputations" - Tom Gabel

Guest naytoid

Virgins - WWZD

Cheap Girls - Through to me or Stop Now

The Dopamines - Cupidity

The Bronx - Six days a week

Useless I.D - Night Stalker

Gnarls Barkley - Charity Case

Anchor Arms - Girl and a glacier

in no particular order

cobralectric - cobra skulls

the patient ferris wheel - the gaslight anthem

little brother - dead to me

you're not afraid of the dark are you? - look mexico

for the four - off with their heads

bringing them back to life - good luck

you like baseball, i like ghosts - lagrecia

spaz - n.e.r.d.

oxford coma - vampire weekend

dillinger four - gainsville

and damn, it was hard to pick just 5. so i picked 10, and i might change that later.

yeah i need to give more than 5 for sure. so heres my top ten

Gaslight Anthem - Great Expectations

The Loved Ones - Sarah's Game

Gatorface - Kid in a Candy Store

Lagrecia - In the Grass

Dead to Me - Little Brother

Tom Gabel - Anna is a Stool Pigeon

Chris Wollard - No Exception

Polar Bear Club - Hollow Place

The Knockdown - Squirrelaholic

Off With Their Heads - I Am You

1. weezer - the greatest man that ever lived

2. crystal castles - crimewave

3. hot chip - ready for the floor

4. vampire weekend - a-punk

5. human highway - what world

6. sigur ros - gobbledigook

7. kanye west - street lights

8. dr dog - hang on

9. portugal the man - and i

10. the walkmen - in the new year

I think my top five songs of the year are as follows (in no specific order):

Polar Bear Club - Convinced I'm Wrong

Norma Jean - Self-Employed Chemist

The Gaslight Anthem - Say I Won't (Recognize)

Weezer - Miss Sweeney

The Loved Ones - The Inquirer

Seriously? that was like one of the worst songs on an already piss poor album

I think my top five songs of the year are as follows (in no specific order):

Polar Bear Club - Convinced I'm Wrong

Norma Jean - Self-Employed Chemist

The Gaslight Anthem - Say I Won't (Recognize)

Weezer - Miss Sweeney

The Loved Ones - The Inquirer

Seriously? that was like one of the worst songs on an already piss poor album

Oh, how wrong you are.