College

Guest falloutcollapse

Next year I start applying to grad school.

So clueless on that.

Know exactly what you want to do and find the top professors in that field.

The best piece of advice I got was 'it matters alot more who you work with, not where you go'

To avoid sounding snobby, I turned down some top notch schools to go to a lesser respected school to work with a top professor and it was the best decision ever.

That still sounded snobby, damnit.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So clueless on that.

The best piece of advice I got was 'it matters alot more who you work with, not where you go'

To avoid sounding snobby, I turned down some top notch schools to go to a lesser respected school to work with a top professor and it was the best decision ever.

Eh, but its totally true for most fields. I would say its way more important for something like a Ph.D. than it would be for something like a Masters.

So clueless on that.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you go and for what?

I know someone who went to the art institute of pittsburgh, went through the program and decided she needed to continue her education for more years to go into the field she wanted... not a single credit transfered

Yeah. The woman from the Art Institute of Phoenix came to my high school trying to recruit kids, but I swear she tried to melt me with her eyes when I brought up the fact that they were nationally accredited, so the credits couldn't be transfered to the in-state Universities here (and elsewhere, I'd imagine).

community college... like high school part 2, but worse because no one socializes unless they already know each other.

That is exactly why I'm not staying around (the Community College is literally a mile from my house). People who've graduated in the years before me and gone to the community college, that's exactly how it goes. It'd drive me nuts!

Eh, but its totally true for most fields. I would say its way more important for something like a Ph.D. than it would be for something like a Masters.

I totally agree, If you want an MBA or another professional post-graduate degree it doesn't matter where you go (unless you're getting a Harvard MBA or something similar). What I said really applies more for a research-based degree.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you go and for what?

I got my BS from Marquette Univ in Milwaukee in Environmental Engineering and I'm currently working on my PhD in Coastal Hydraulics at Notre Dame in Indiana.

Let's hear it for catholic schools!

Be far enough away from home that its not an easy trip, but close enough to easily get back for holidays/cool shit back home.

Live on campus freshman year, get the fuck out after that. Go for a place to live the rest of the time. I moved each year and it was a pain in the ass.

If there is a particular school you really want to go to, apply for a major that is not impacted. Then change your major to what you want to do like 90% of everyone else will at some point. I got into school as Computer Engineering, then changed to Poli Sci and then picked up Environmental Studies to extend into a 5th year. Best decision ever.