Obligatory 'bitching about record prices' thread

all my lps are $8(or less), just sayin.

don't forget these factors:

shipping charge increases

CD manufacturing being about 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of doing a basic LP(in equal quantities)

This is a losing argument, but with the continued decreasing of CD Manufacturing costs and the steady or increasing costs of manufacturing vinyl...this is likened to people complaining shows aren't $5 all the time anymore...when oil gets more expensive(which is what plastic is made from)...that affects vinyl prices, because it MORE plastic than a CD...so like bands that need more money for gas & food, show prices had to be raised too...

these distros are unreasonable and they rip people off...that sucks, so just find the records elsewhere from a distro that won't rip you off.

Southern Lord and Relapse are like this as well. It does make me really picky about what I buy now a days. I really need to start trading more since I only buy a few records a month now. The last three records I've wanted to buy have all been on Euro labels, I know that it's different because they only charge actual shipping, but it just sucks because I've only brought myself to buy one of them. I hate trying to save money.

all my lps are $8(or less), just sayin.

don't forget these factors:

shipping charge increases

CD manufacturing being about 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of doing a basic LP(in equal quantities)

This is a losing argument, but with the continued decreasing of CD Manufacturing costs and the steady or increasing costs of manufacturing vinyl...this is likened to people complaining shows aren't $5 all the time anymore...when oil gets more expensive(which is what plastic is made from)...that affects vinyl prices, because it MORE plastic than a CD...so like bands that need more money for gas & food, show prices had to be raised too...

these distros are unreasonable and they rip people off...that sucks, so just find the records elsewhere from a distro that won't rip you off.

yeah, and labels that can still manage to sell LPs for $9 a pop are rad. $15 for a 2xLP is fine, too. it's really just a gripe of mine, especially if i have to shell out $20 for a new single LP (ie capitol reissues)

yeah, and labels that can still manage to sell LPs for $9 a pop are rad. $15 for a 2xLP is fine, too. it's really just a gripe of mine, especially if i have to shell out $20 for a new single LP (ie capitol reissues)

Stick to the CAPITAL re-issues. they'll treat ya right! ;)

hahaha right on

Yeah right, did you see Eight-Legged Freaks? Those spiders were huge! But I guess ScarJo was hanging around in a towel so it wasn't all bad.

I agree that record pricing sucks right now. Everyone is trying to cash in. Plants are bumping their prices due to increased demand, as are labels, and shipping is getting worse every year. I try to keep all my stuff relatively cheap, but the $9.99 and $11.99 MSRPs are few and far between these days. Records are $18, 20, etc. in stores for single LPs that are pressed in the thousands. Pretty weak.

I agree that record pricing sucks right now. Everyone is trying to cash in. Plants are bumping their prices due to increased demand, as are labels, and shipping is getting worse every year. I try to keep all my stuff relatively cheap, but the $9.99 and $11.99 MSRPs are few and far between these days. Records are $18, 20, etc. in stores for single LPs that are pressed in the thousands. Pretty weak.

Those prices will not go down if people continue to buy them. Major labels putting out back catalogs is a key factor in the recent price increases. NOT EVERYTHING needs to be on vinyl.

Also, the majors are used to the HUGE profit margins they had when selling CDs. What does it cost to manufacture a single CD (when pressing hundreds of thousands)? Less than $1?

Now if they sold a CD for $15 when it only cost them $1 to manufacture...How much do you think they will charge for a record that probably cost them $4 to manufacture?

You should move to the US. Sure, it doesn't seem practical now, but eventually the money you save on shipping would totally make up for moving costs.

Oh and you would live in a country where giant spiders weren't an everyday sight.

haha yeah, between the spiders, bushfires, floods, denghe fever, and increasing shark attacks, moving is starting to look like a good idea.