question regarding record skipping

Guest genericinsight

Guest genericinsight

I tried to ask this in the thread where someone else asked a similar question but since the board's still broken and I can't find it...

I just got my speakers for my turntable fixed. I should mention they'd been broken for at least a year but for a while I wasn't buying or listening to any records so I never bothered to have them fixed. Now I did and have started to slowly begin listening to all the records I've bought/gotten in the last year since a lot of them have not been played yet. So far two records I've played, both last night (Stolen Bikes/New Bruises split and Tim Barry - Rivanna Junction) play perfectly fine with no problem. Then I took my black Gaslight Anthem LP out and spun it and on Side 1 it skipped in a bunch of different places on the first three tracks. I tried the trick about putting a nickel on the needle and it still skipped. then I switched over to Side Two and not a single skip anywhere.

is this an issue with the needle or the record itself perhaps? I've had the record since last June of '06 when it was released but never actually played it since last night, and it was purchased brand new. thoughts? I'm trying to see if maybe I should get a new needle or maybe just get a new turntable altogether. Or maybe just play some more records and see if this happens again before I do that. thoughts?

Guest genericinsight
probably the record?? try some more and see if they skip as well.

yeah that just occurred to me as I was re-reading the post I wrote. I'm gonna do that some more today and I'll report back if there's any more problems.

Guest genericinsight
I had records that would skip on my old turntable and not one my new, but it sounds to me like your Gaslight is damaged. Did you store it vertically or horizontally? If heard storing horizontally can damage records.

I store all my records vertically.

this is what some of my storage space looks like for reference:

[image]

[image]

Could be a defective record.

As I suggest to everyone who owns a record player... MAKE SURE IT IS LEVEL! Doing so will keep it from having skating issues . You can't do this with your eye, you need to purchase a small bubble level. Level it from front to back and from side to side. This may help.

Guest genericinsight

I just bought a record cleaning cloth and anti-static dust brush, so I'll see if this maybe fixes anything. If not, I guess maybe the record is just defective since I've played a bunch of others today and they're all fine.

I just bought a record cleaning cloth and anti-static dust brush, so I'll see if this maybe fixes anything. If not, I guess maybe the record is just defective since I've played a bunch of others today and they're all fine.

My thread about skipping records might be the one you are referring to. Let me know if brushing the record works for you. I haven't been able to go out and buy a brush yet so I don't know if it's the fix I was looking for. I tried the dime on the cartridge briefly and it didn't seem to work. I was a little worried that it might damage the vinyl anyway.

I tried the trick about putting a nickel on the needle and it still skipped. then I switched over to Side Two and not a single skip anywhere.

DO NOT DO THAT! Your putting a ton of weight on the needle and its going to be riding very heavy in the grooves. This will wear out your records really fast.

Take a good close look at the record in some good light and focus on the area that skips. If the record is damaged you will see probably see a mark. Also double check the needle and make sure no fuzz bunny is riding on it.

As I suggest to everyone who owns a record player... MAKE SURE IT IS LEVEL! Doing so will keep it from having skating issues . You can't do this with your eye, you need to purchase a small bubble level. Level it from front to back and from side to side. This may help.

There are turntable specific levels out there...if we are going to get all super nerdy...

http://www.tracertek.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=150

There are turntable specific levels out there...if we are going to get all super nerdy...

http://www.tracertek.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=150

Ug, that one is expensive...

Here.

http://www.turntablebasics.com/

Guest genericinsight
I tried the trick about putting a nickel on the needle and it still skipped. then I switched over to Side Two and not a single skip anywhere.

DO NOT DO THAT! Your putting a ton of weight on the needle and its going to be riding very heavy in the grooves. This will wear out your records really fast.

Take a good close look at the record in some good light and focus on the area that skips. If the record is damaged you will see probably see a mark. Also double check the needle and make sure no fuzz bunny is riding on it.

Yeah, I knew the other post said a coin but I thought it said nickel, apparently it was a dime. I stopped immediately after the board got fixed and I re-read the thread over. And I check my needle for fuzz almost religiously, if there is I clean it off, and the needle was clean when I played it. I will check the record for marks.

and yeah turntablebasics.com was the place I ordered the cloth and brush from.

Guest genericinsight

My thread about skipping records might be the one you are referring to. Let me know if brushing the record works for you. I haven't been able to go out and buy a brush yet so I don't know if it's the fix I was looking for. I tried the dime on the cartridge briefly and it didn't seem to work. I was a little worried that it might damage the vinyl anyway.

yes, your thread is the one I was talking about but couldn't find it due to the board being broken at the time.

update: it's definitely the record and not the table. I played a bunch of them yesterday and they all play fine.

Guest genericinsight

okay update #2:

I'm still waiting on my brush and cloth to come in the mail but in the meantime, I finally decided to play my white and red splatter Gaslight LP, which I held off for some reason. Low and behold, this record is having the EXACT same problem in regards to skipping in multiple places on Side 1. Not the same spots as on the black copy but still there. Do you guys think this is a dust issue (again, record has never been played) or could it be damaged/defective like the black one? I find it a little odd that both records are having the same problem.

Guest genericinsight

that's weird... I'm hoping it's just dust and whatnot then. that would suck to own two of the exact same LP's and both of them are basically unplayable.