New LA Area Record Store: Origami

Guest adam526
Anybody get a chance to hit this place yet? I couldn't get down there.

Yea, I was there at noon when it opened. I bought QOTSA -Era Vulgaris for $20, and a few Explosions in the Sky records.

Guest adam526

FYI everything is new. Like sealed and straight from labels. They are strictly only selling new vinyl. Nothing used. Nothing traded in. I happend to get Era Vulgaris at a decent price, but everything else is either exactly face value or a dollar or two over. No titles you can't get anywhere else. I don't know, it was pretty cool and the dudes there are awesome for sure, but nothing's stopping me from just getting the titles I want from my normal stores.

Guest adam526
I was in Echo Park for a show last night and walked by this place and read the sign allowed to a friend. It was late, though, and had paper on the windows so I didn't know it was open.

It opened today.

FYI everything is new. Like sealed and straight from labels. They are strictly only selling new vinyl. Nothing used. Nothing traded in. I happend to get Era Vulgaris at a decent price, but everything else is either exactly face value or a dollar or two over. No titles you can't get anywhere else. I don't know, it was pretty cool and the dudes there are awesome for sure, but nothing's stopping me from just getting the titles I want from my normal stores.

Thanks for this, I won't be rushing there after all.

I figured as much.

Thanks for this, I won't be rushing there after all.

go check it out! support another local store!

i went there over the weekend. as mentioned before, they're not planning on carrying anything used or doing any trade ins. if that's the case, to be honest, i'd be surprised if they stayed in business a year. at the moment, they don't have anything that makes them unique or stand out from any other record shop in the area. everything they had could be found at any other record shop. they're prices weren't too bad but at the same time, i don't see myself making a trek over there especially since Amoeba and a few other shops are closer to me.

if they carried used product, they stand a better chance of being successful because they could occassionally have the odd collectible record that maybe the other shops wouldn't have. on the other hand, they probably don't have the space for used product. (the store was a little bigger than the old 1,2,3,4 Go! Record shop in Oakland before Steve moved.)

who knows? they might change their mind and start taking in trades. until then, i don't see myself going over there unless i happen to be going to a show at The Echo or Spaceland. still, it's nice to see a new record shop opening in L.A.

It's a catch 22. They can't beat amoeba at the used/trade game, but they can't beat the prices/selection of the online outlets. Tough market for B&M's right now.

Hopefully crowds from the Echo will keep them afloat for the short run. Bonus money from selling Echo/Spaceland tickets should help too.