Santa Barbara Record Shops

i haven't found much in the way of a decent store down there since the rockpile in isla vista closed. (and record outlet in santa maria).

there is an indie store on state st. (up the street from morning glory), but i can't remember the name.

there is also buffalo records, but i haven't been in there in a long time. looks like they moved to ventura.

http://www.buffalorecords.org/

if you make it up to SLO, there is boo boo records on monterey st.

http://www.booboorecords.com/

ebullition records is also in goleta, but it's not so much a record store as an 'outlet' for their mailorder kind of thing.

http://www.ebullition.com/

and there is salzer's in ventura too, but i never found much there either.

http://www.salzers.com/Home

thanks for the heads up on the shops. i ended up hitting Morninglory, Just Play Music, Buffalo Records and Salzers. i actually spent a chunk of change at Salzers. however, i gotta say that Just Play Music was totally overpriced. Fugazi LPs for $15? Ramones reissue LPs for $19? that's just insulting. needless to say, i didn't buy anything there.

hahaha, he said cheap thrills......bunch of magic the gathering nerds in there...not worth the drive.

as opposed to a bunch of nerds looking for records?

that's the sub or captain nemo's anyway, technically.

when i was growing up on the central coast, those were the places to go, except for the record outlet in SM, which is long long gone.

but i'd agree it's not worth a special trip or anything.

my buddy was the manager at the grover beach boo boo's and now he's at SLO, so that's the only reason i go in there when i'm down there. we were actually going to open a record store a few years ago, but our business plan was at the bank the week of 9/11, so that didn't help that cause. we'd probably be out of business by now anyway.

i usually chk out cheap thrills once or twice a year just in case i find something random. rarely do.

i did find an avail dixie new in there for under 10 bucks that i picked up fairly recently. maybe i got my 4am Friday there too.

i got a red avail front porch stories for about 5 bucks at boo boo's and a new 1st press (brown/white) shook ones sixteen for under 10 there.

actually picking up something at either one is pretty few and far between these days.

i don't think i've ever bought anything at a record store in ventura or santa barbara. oh wait, there was one in downtown ventura that used to be cool, but i'm pretty sure it's gone now.

hahaha, he said cheap thrills......bunch of magic the gathering nerds in there...not worth the drive.

as opposed to a bunch of nerds looking for records?

that's the sub or captain nemo's anyway, technically.

when i was growing up on the central coast, those were the places to go, except for the record outlet in SM, which is long long gone.

but i'd agree it's not worth a special trip or anything.

my buddy was the manager at the grover beach boo boo's and now he's at SLO, so that's the only reason i go in there when i'm down there. we were actually going to open a record store a few years ago, but our business plan was at the bank the week of 9/11, so that didn't help that cause. we'd probably be out of business by now anyway.

i usually chk out cheap thrills once or twice a year just in case i find something random. rarely do.

i did find an avail dixie new in there for under 10 bucks that i picked up fairly recently. maybe i got my 4am Friday there too.

i got a red avail front porch stories for about 5 bucks at boo boo's and a new 1st press (brown/white) shook ones sixteen for under 10 there.

actually picking up something at either one is pretty few and far between these days.

i don't think i've ever bought anything at a record store in ventura or santa barbara. oh wait, there was one in downtown ventura that used to be cool, but i'm pretty sure it's gone now.

wow, small world, who is your bud there? i know all of the guys there.

yeah the one in ventura shut down, which is a bummer. anymore, i go to either rasputin up north or amoeba/whatever random stores i come across in LA