Record store help (starting one content)

Guest smccown13

News flash, you can download fucking everything. It's 2009. LOTS of people stopped buying comics and art books. We sell tons of photography, graffiti, and art books. You can literally download all the images in them on the computer the same way you can an mp3 or anything else. People who are into music will always buy records, the same way people who are into books will always buy books.

And no, I'm not saying that every record store that's recently closed had a shitty buyer... but I am saying that a lot of them did. I grew up going to Vinal Edge in Houston. They've been open since 1985 and I hope they stay open forever. When I walk into the store one of the employees might say "hey John, we got some stuff in we thought you might be into so we put it aside for you." When I go into Vinal Edge I can pick up the new Suspect Parts 7", The Small Faces box set, and an Ottis Redding lp for 5 bucks. When I go into another record store in Houston that I wouldn't name I see 15 copies of the new Locust record sitting on the shelf and they wonder why they're going out of business. When I ask an employee if they have something and they look it up and say "uh, well i can order it for you" it's beyond frustrating. People who don't have any interest in music shouldn't run a record store, because it's the nerds, crate diggers, and traditionalists who keep a store like Vinal Edge open since 85. I make 8 dollars an hour and I'm an adult. I'm poor, but I'm still going to blow all my money on records because that's all I've ever done.

Where the comic industry is better off than the record industry is that comic fans tend to be collectors in nature. The same isn't true music fans, as they far more passive music fans that have now taken to downloading (both legally and illegally). Also, readers tend to abhor reading on a computer screen. Again, most people don't notice that their MP3's sound like dog shit.

Unfortunately, the nerds won't keep a record store in business. You have to appeal to the "masses" because there aren't enough nerds to pay the rent.

Not to derail the thread... but the comic industry is dying off almost as quickly as the record industry. Rising prices on new comics (many are now at $4 each), very few new readers, and illegally downloading comics are all contributing to it's downfall. It is a sort of similar comparison to what is happening in the music industry. Most comic shops struggle just as much as most record stores these days. Comic book movies are doing great... comic books are not doing well at all. I would not be surprised if monthly comic books are a thing of the past in 5-10 years just like music on a physical format will be.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, I don't know, it's not the safest bet you'll make in your life, but running a record store in 2009 is not impossible.

I own a shop in Portland, OR, and we're doing fine. we're consistently profitable, and our sales for the first quarter of 2009 are up considerably from 2008.

I know plenty of other small shops who are in the same boat. in fact, after years of decline, it seems to me that there've been a lot of shops OPENING in the last couple of years..........

First off, owning your own business is a lot of hassle.

Most people think starting a business will free them from a Monday through Friday 9 to 5 type job. What you get is a 24/7, 365 job. If you're not there, you're thinking about it.

Then there's the accounting, tax, employee, money, and family nightmares that go along with it.

Also, making your hobby your business is never a good idea. It will turn what you love into your job, ruining it for you. It happened to me.

this is the sort of thing that'll vary greatly according to individual temperament.

I love every single second that I spend working for myself, and never, ever see it as a hassle, not even when the burglar alarm goes off at 4:30 in the morning and I have to drag myself out of bed to go down to the shop. (happened last week!)

not working for someone else absolutely, totally rules, don't let anyone tell you any different.

it's the best thing that's ever happened to me....uh, except for getting married, that is! (just in case my wife is reading this!)

Guest smccown13

Most people think starting a business will free them from a Monday through Friday 9 to 5 type job. What you get is a 24/7, 365 job. If you're not there, you're thinking about it.

Then there's the accounting, tax, employee, money, and family nightmares that go along with it.

Also, making your hobby your business is never a good idea. It will turn what you love into your job, ruining it for you. It happened to me.

this is the sort of thing that'll vary greatly according to individual temperament.

I love every single second that I spend working for myself, and never, ever see it as a hassle, not even when the burglar alarm goes off at 4:30 in the morning and I have to drag myself out of bed to go down to the shop. (happened last week!)

not working for someone else absoutely, totally rules, don't let anyone tell you any different.

it's the best thing that's ever happened to me....uh, except for getting married, that is! (just in case my wfie is reading this!)

ahh..i'm so confused about this. I love reading your posts, and then I think about the negative stuff. Blah!

oh, I don't know, it's not the safest bet you'll make in your life, but running a record store in 2009 is not impossible.

I own a shop in Portland, OR, and we're doing fine. we're consistently profitable, and our sales for the first quarter of 2009 are up considerably from 2008.

I know plenty of other small shops who are in the same boat. in fact, after years of decline, it seems to me that there've been a lot of shops OPENING in the last couple of years..........

yeah after losing half the record stores we once had throughout Chicago, we've had a few new ones open up in the last 2-3 years or so.

News flash, you can download fucking everything. It's 2009. LOTS of people stopped buying comics and art books. We sell tons of photography, graffiti, and art books. You can literally download all the images in them on the computer the same way you can an mp3 or anything else. People who are into music will always buy records, the same way people who are into books will always buy books.

And no, I'm not saying that every record store that's recently closed had a shitty buyer... but I am saying that a lot of them did. I grew up going to Vinal Edge in Houston. They've been open since 1985 and I hope they stay open forever. When I walk into the store one of the employees might say "hey John, we got some stuff in we thought you might be into so we put it aside for you." When I go into Vinal Edge I can pick up the new Suspect Parts 7", The Small Faces box set, and an Ottis Redding lp for 5 bucks. When I go into another record store in Houston that I wouldn't name I see 15 copies of the new Locust record sitting on the shelf and they wonder why they're going out of business. When I ask an employee if they have something and they look it up and say "uh, well i can order it for you" it's beyond frustrating. People who don't have any interest in music shouldn't run a record store, because it's the nerds, crate diggers, and traditionalists who keep a store like Vinal Edge open since 85. I make 8 dollars an hour and I'm an adult. I'm poor, but I'm still going to blow all my money on records because that's all I've ever done.

Where the comic industry is better off than the record industry is that comic fans tend to be collectors in nature. The same isn't true music fans, as they far more passive music fans that have now taken to downloading (both legally and illegally). Also, readers tend to abhor reading on a computer screen. Again, most people don't notice that their MP3's sound like dog shit.

Unfortunately, the nerds won't keep a record store in business. You have to appeal to the "masses" because there aren't enough nerds to pay the rent.

exactly, plus domy (where john works at), is a total posh, upscale urban art store. Don't get me wrong. its awesome, but in no way is it like an indie record store.

Here's an interview with the guy who just opened Origami Vinyl in LA that might be of interest to you:

http://laist.com/2009/04/03/origami_vinyl.php

that guy has a couple good arrangements going for him, as...

Conveniently located two doors from The Echo and Echoplex, Origami Vinyl will also serve as the primary box office for concert tickets to The Echo, Echoplex, Spaceland and other Spaceland Productions Festivals/Events.

plus silver lake is pretty much the indie / hipster area and they have shows every day at the echo / echoplex.. which means there'd be a decent amount of foot traffic going through..

i'd say if you could get something like that going, it wouldn't be such a bad idea..

you have to be more than a music store. you have to provide more.

for example.. redscroll opened in CT... the two guys who run it.. both are long term scenester kids who ran shows, one was/is a dj, the other had a long running distro, have good relationships with all the local labels/bands... the bigger local promoters sell tickets for their shows thru the store... the dudes are on the ball when it comes to what to stock (music and non music) as well as always having wacky events (pinball competitions, holiday themed sales & giveaways, and other stuff) ... it needs to be more than the dude behind the counter selling music situation.

exactly, plus domy (where john works at), is a total posh, upscale urban art store. Don't get me wrong. its awesome, but in no way is it like an indie record store.

I don't see much of a difference. it's exactly like an indie record store. Only snobs, old people, weirdos, and punks are really IN TO vinyl. Someone buying a 7 Seconds test press off the wall isn't any different than someone buying a drawing off the wall at Domy. Many record stores stay open exclusively by big time collectors buying rare shit off the wall. Sound Exchange in Houston stays open simply because of big time collectors. They could care less if I come in and spend twenty bucks (which explains why they're rude to customers), because chances are a big spender will go in their and drop hundreds of dollars on wall records that day. That mixed with the walk ins and loyal vinyl only customers, and you've got a store staying in business. Vinal Edge in Houston has good business because they cary tons of stuff that DJs are looking for, as well as an unbelievable punk section. They carry shit you cant find anywhere else and they have one of the best Avant Garde sections PERIOD. Fuck, Thurston Moore does mail order with Vinal Edge.

I don't own an I Pod and I don't own a computer. Vinyl has been a dead format for many years so people blaming the economy or the changes in the industry for their store failing is a joke. Carry better records and know your shit. Also, in my opinion places like Vinyl Collective DO NOT help the independent record stores at all. Bullshit like online exclusives and message board exclusives and collecting color varriants is not what records are about. Shit like that is a money making scam. If you're wasting your money collecting 8 varriants of the same record, chances are you're not going to the record store every week to check out the new shit you haven't heard yet. Whatever.

Guest afsdan

I didn't read all three pages of this, but this one stuck out at me right away.

Sure, owning a business is a hassle, but so is being somebody's fucking EMPLOYEE. Some people prefer to be their own boss.